Headphone recommendations?

AndroidVageta

Limp Gawd
Hi all, was just wondering if anyone here has some recommendation for a new pair of headphones.

Ive looked at the Denon AHD2000 and the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO as well as others but can't make up my mind.

Ive owned several pairs of headphones and cant find ones that suit me perfectly...Ive owned Shures, Bose, Dr Dre Beats, Sony, etc...some sound decent, but all the ones Ive tried are just wayyy too one sided...like, the Shures have awesome highs but crappy mids and lows...the Bose have good lows and mids but shoddy highs, Sonys have good lows and highs but almost no mid range, etc...

I mainly game and listen to music. My music is the alt rock realm...Chevelle, Limp Bizkit, Ben Folds, some classical, etc...

Im running a Creative X-Fi Platinum for audio.

Spending limit is ~$300 or so... thanks guys!

Sennheiser HD555+, Beyerdynamic DT 770, Grado SR60+

Grados are not the most comfortable, Sennheisers are extremely comfortable.

Shure makes some good stuff though as well.

I havent really heard anything good about Sennheiser...I mean I have, but everything I hear good about them this is equally bad...I think I am going to by pass them all together...just too many mixed reviews.

You can get Sennheiser HD650s for $350. Not too much negative to say about them.

Those look nice...comfort seems to be a complaint of a lot of people, I definitely need my phones to be comfortable...hours of wear at a time.

Also, does anyone here know if the headphone out on my speaker controller will act as a amplifier? Or do I need to buy something else? Thanks!

I havent really heard anything good about Sennheiser...I mean I have, but everything I hear good about them this is equally bad...I think I am going to by pass them all together...just too many mixed reviews.

From where?

Sennheiser makes some of the best headphones in the industry....and some of the most comfortable. The DT770s you mentioned are less accurate than the Sennheisers, less comfortable to most, but have more bass.

Every brand has its own characteristics. Every listener has their own preferences. You have to pick what YOU like. Same goes for Amps, Speakers, etc.

Last edited:
Hi all, was just wondering if anyone here has some recommendation for a new pair of headphones.

Ive looked at the Denon AHD2000 and the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO as well as others but can't make up my mind.

Ive owned several pairs of headphones and cant find ones that suit me perfectly...Ive owned Shures, Bose, Dr Dre Beats, Sony, etc...some sound decent, but all the ones Ive tried are just wayyy too one sided...like, the Shures have awesome highs but crappy mids and lows...the Bose have good lows and mids but shoddy highs, Sonys have good lows and highs but almost no mid range, etc...

I mainly game and listen to music. My music is the alt rock realm...Chevelle, Limp Bizkit, Ben Folds, some classical, etc...

Im running a Creative X-Fi Platinum for audio.

Spending limit is ~$300 or so... thanks guys!

out of the ones you listed i would get the Denon's

i would also say the Denons cause they are the easiest to drive and are a good fit for the music you listen too

I have the DT770 Pros and I don't use them too often for a couple of reasons. They aren't comfortable to me and they're usually too bass heavy for my listening style.

I haven't heard the Denons personally, but apparently you should give them a try since others seem to like them.

I have a shure SRH840 and excellent for the price, BD DT770 are nice too I use to have them and it works great!

I have the step down from the denon 1000s and they sound fantastic. Pretty even though I have nothing better to compare it to.

Ideally you should try and find an audio shop locally where you could sample different headphones.

Saving that, head over to head-fi and check the comparisons between the ones you are interested in with their peers, there are plenty of posts there.

I own senny hd595s and I plan on purchasing the denons you menetioned. Id go either with the sennys or the denons. sennys lack tons of low end being open cans opposed to the denons.

Sennheiser has mixed reviews? That's news to me. Also, being that you're of the mind that bose wonky overdone bass is good, I imagine it's gonna be hard to find cans that satisfy. Still would like to recommend ATH-A900 though for the budget, I'm quite a fan.

you'd get much better performance out of a $100 pair of headphones and a $200 amp
than a $300 pair of headphones with no amp

you'd get much better performance out of a $100 pair of headphones and a $200 amp
than a $300 pair of headphones with no amp

Not necessarily true.

I'd much rather own an unamped HD600/650 than an HD485 or MDR7506.

Also, many phones like the Audio Technica ATH-A900 don't need an amp as much. You can get away without amping many higher end Grado's as well.

Sennheiser has mixed reviews? That's news to me. Also, being that you're of the mind that bose wonky overdone bass is good, I imagine it's gonna be hard to find cans that satisfy. Still would like to recommend ATH-A900 though for the budget, I'm quite a fan.

How are these? Owning a pair of Audio-Technicas from back in the day made me a fan...awesome set of phones! Might go with the A900...

Just stopping in to say, i love my ATH-A900's and play COD:MW 1 & 2 and some other Steam games and they are sweet. For music, I'm a live music fan, or I'll be getting down to some funky beats and electronic stuff, either way these just don't disappoint. I run without an amp, just onboard sound for now, but am looking to get a new sound card later this week to really bring the details and some better positional audio to life.

On the HT side, these sound great out of my old Yamaha 5240 and really do a nice job for movies.

I didn't catch your budge. That said, you say that Sennheiser cans don't get good reviews? I'm here to say otherwise. I have the HD650's powered by a Fubar3 USB/DAC/AMP. It is absolutely awesome how good they sound.

I got the HD650's for 250$ shipped, and the FUBAR for another 220$.

you know, One of the reasons I really like Swiftech as a company (--granted I havnt yet bought a product from them, so I guess my liking is useless from a business standpoint, but regardless) is because they supply what seems like actual (solid) scientific data for their products. I have no proof to back up their claims, nor do I have any real abillity to test them, but somehow when I see this:

ApogeeXT_PD-vs-FR.png

I believe it.

Why does this not exist in the computer audio world? Why is it impossible to get solid data and why does everybody make thermaltake-ish (read: outragous) claims about the performance of their product? 10-30kHz sony says. A physicist once told me that delocalization of sound happens for most people at around 80Hz, (which THQ then enforced as the base channel cutoff) and that even the most acute ear cannot hear below 15Hz. So why the hell is sony selling a produc that can make 10Hz noises? Seems to me that, granted nobody here is listening to music based off the brown note, anything recorded below the human audible hearing range is going to be noise (read: accidentally recorded and/or inducted in the lines) anyways. Why does nobody give us applied frequency VS air pressure oscilation graphs --or whatever would be quantifiable in useful exparaments for the consumers?

I donno, maybe I should start my own speaker company, I know that theres all this bruhaha around quality sound (I look at these audiophilic groups the same way I look at wine testers :p) but seriously, we've got the tools to measure the sound thats coming out and we've sure as hell got the tools to measure the voltage going in. We know whats supposed to happen and we've got op-amp characteristics down to the nanoVolt. So why can I not find properly quantized reviews of sound products; why the hell does everyone want to tell me how they "feel" about a product! Wheres the [H] in that?!

anyways, blegh, I've got some Sennheiser HD515's that are a couple years old, I was wondering if maybe I should replace them, but I need to at least clean them. What I'd like to do is replace all the cushons (the top one smells more like my conditioner than my conditioner does), so if someone's got a site that sells replacement sennhieser headphone padding I'd be very grateful.

Last edited:
Back