headphone recommendation thread v. eleventy billion

RedTalon19

Supreme [H]ardness
i currently have the denon ah-d950 (discontinued) headphones but i accidently blew them out and now they crackle like crazy even at moderate volumes :( long story, dont ask :rolleyes:
as far as sound quality i am satisfied with the sound from these things.... err that used to come from them :( i am by no means and true aduiophile but i still want sound good quality. my friend has a pair of sr-80s but its been so long since i've heard them i cant compare. i'll try to get back to you on that.

basically i'll be using them for gaming and music on my computer. i listen to a lot of the modern rock stuff but i also listen to a lot of jazz and the occasional classical piece. i do not want to bother with an amp (unless its worless without one) besides i wont be able to hear the full potential of a set of really good headphones from my pc anyways.

i'm tossed up over 2 things: open versus closed and overall comfort. these denons are closed and i love the isolation from ambience, but i suppose thats not always necessary. 2nd i sometimes go for hours, like 4+ hours. if by the end of that time my ears are sore then fine... but if i have to keep taking them off to give my ears a break it gets annoying. and price limit would be about $200 but thats not set in stone.

sr-125? hd-580? something other than grados or senn?

Wow, those Denon's looked real nice.

Anyway, yea...... usually open hear headphones are eaiser to wear, because your ears don't get all sweaty. But, with open ear headphones, it gives them the effect of having some "depth" or distance.... they are not right at your ear forceing the sound in.

Most people prefer diffrent things, so all i can tell you is what """ I """ like.

I like the sennheiser hd590's because they work fine off a computer! To me, they are perfect. They make the sound seem like its coming from the insdie of my head, not being forced into my ears. They are Super comfertable and light. I can keep these things on for hours! without even noticeing them. They also have a good cord set-up. They have a detachable cord on the left can only, and for me that's a nice feature. I have not tried an upgraded cable, but the cable that comes with them is nice because its like 9-10ft long, and its NOT coiled. I hate coiled because they usually have alot of tension when you go far away. Someone said you could pick up the hd590's for about 150$US... that to me is a good deal.

My dad has a pair of hd280 pro's, and i don't like their sound quality.

~hope this helps

Originally posted by X86Dude
Try these :D

I have a pair of Ultrasone 650's They are nice nice. Better than average isolation makes the office much more bearable. I do have problems with comfort some times, but it's entirely becasue of the way the cups press my ears against my glasses. I've added some trimmed down styrofoam cup rims along the edge between the pads and the drivers and it has almost entirely solved the problem. I do have rather small ears. See if you can audition them.

Why can't you get the full benefit of an amp from your computer? What soundcard is it, a SB live?

Originally posted by X86Dude
Try these :D

ooo thoes look really nice, only problem is that the earliest i could buy them is a month from now... i'm poor as we speak, looking for another job. is that you wanting to sell them x86dude?

and godsmadclown, why spend $200+ on headphones, $100+ on a headphone amp and then use a $60 sound card to drive it? i have an audigy original right now. can you compare a pc audio to a true home audio system, where such headphones would really shine? no you cant. so why bother getting headphones that wont be truly utilized on the pc.

Originally posted by RedTalon19
ooo thoes look really nice, only problem is that the earliest i could buy them is a month from now... i'm poor as we speak, looking for another job. is that you wanting to sell them x86dude?

and godsmadclown, why spend $200+ on headphones, $100+ on a headphone amp and then use a $60 sound card to drive it? i have an audigy original right now. can you compare a pc audio to a true home audio system, where such headphones would really shine? no you cant. so why bother getting headphones that wont be truly utilized on the pc.

the amazing part is that modern day headphones work on things other than a computer!!!

Originally posted by zachary80
the amazing part is that modern day headphones work on things other than a computer!!!

lies!

actually these denons are awesome with my cheap sony discman. in fact, they are louder at the same volume setting than many other cheaper headphones - hell just about every other headphones i've ever listened to. meh too bad i fuxored them.

Nope afraid not.
It just looks like a nice deal on a pair of decent cans that fit your needs pretty well. :p
and godsmadclown, why spend $200+ on headphones, $100+ on a headphone amp and then use a $60 sound card to drive it? i have an audigy original right now. can you compare a pc audio to a true home audio system, where such headphones would really shine?
I realize you did not direct that question towards me but I will answer anyhow. :D
Yes, it can.
A good PC driven headphone system can sound just as good as a Home theater system for a lot less money.
The big problem as I see it is good Headphone amps are expensive (regardless of some people's efforts to rectify that). And like Zach said you can always use them for other things then your computer. :D
Hmm, a source switching feature sure sounds like a nice addition to a headphone amp.

nevermind.

i just bypassed the klipsch headphone "preamp" - and notice how i use that term very very loosely..... i bypassed it and the headphones work perfectly. original 5.1 klipsch btw. this is weird i'm going to have to see wtf is up with this...

Back