headphone quality

Saki630

Limp Gawd
I have been using HD595's for about 7+ years. This last pair has both plastic joints above the ear broken, so I have to tape them. The last pair had the same issue.

I bought my nephew HD598's, and they look flimsy like the 595's. I've been waiting to purchase the HD650s, but now want to explore other options because the design is identical.

What other brand/model should I look into that will not have crappy joint above the ear?

I use them for gaming and enjoy the open ear style.

Sennheiser uses plastic across their entire lineup for the sliders. Plastic doesnt bend much. If you insist on bending the slider and need something more sturdy, the Focal Elear uses metal sliders (the Utopia uses carbon fiber). Hifiman also uses metal yokes for Edition X v2 (although the band that sits on your head is leather, just like the HE1000). Beyerdynamic also uses metal for the T1 and some of their lower headphone lines.

As far as something in the 650's price range, the Audio Technica R70X is tonally comparable and should have a much more sturdy (and comfortable!) headband design.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I know nothing about other headphone manufacturers so I did not know where to begin looking for an alternative. Those Audio Technica's i swear are always on massdrop so i'll take a look.

I just want headphones that wont flex and crack on the sliders. The over ear + open combo is great on the Sennheiser's, but the longevity is not great on the material.

I have similar cracking issues with my HD555 (my gateway drug, lol), which is from the same generation/family and design as your HD595.

The HD650's are not as likely to break at the same location, the headband overall is much more robust. I have an HD600, which is built very similarly, and I have no complaints about the plastic breaking provided you take general care of them - the pads will definitely get worn out, for sure, but that is to be expected. The good thing about the HD6XX line is that Sennheiser made them so modular that you can easily swap out replacement parts if you ever feel the need to.

With that said, if you do go for the HD650, you may need to look into investing into a better amp to power it, as it is not as easy to drive. It is also notorious for scaling really well with better amps as well. However, the soundstage (perception of distances of sounds) may not be as wide as the HD595, but they are great muscial headphones, if you ever use them for that.

Some other good alternatives, from a gaming perspective, to consider:

- Audio Technica AD900X (I have the AD1000X and find the soundstage to be excellent, and have read the whole ADX line to be very comparable, although they are thin on bass, but have excellent clarity overall in the midrange and treble frequencies)
- Philips Fidelio X2 (good soundstage and significantly beefier - albeit, slightly less clear - bass, compared to all of the above)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the two above are going to be easy to drive, so using your onboard sound is still ok.

Last edited:
The most durable headphones that I've ever come across aside from covertash's point on Fidelio X2 would be V-Moda's M-100. Those things are build like tanks and they shrug off being dropped flat onto concrete floor like it's nothing.

I've had the Sony MA900 for a few years now after my 595s broke. They've held up well as the band is magnesium. Super light and super open, great for gaming in that regard. Drop them all the time without a problem.

beyerdynamic DT990pro, they have metal headband with a removable real leather wrap.

I have HD558 too and no cracks but they are just 2 years old and not 7.

Thanks guys! Those Philips+AudioTechs+Beyers have a similar design that doesn't look like they will break when stressed.

These 595's started to crack within those 2 years. I've let it persist and now just hold it together with tape. They are shattered on both sides with wires exposed n shit :)))))))))

What do you recommend? I've paid $150 a pop for these headphones, but doubt spending $300 will make it more enjoyable to frag out in games and listen to youtube right? :D

Thanks guys! Those Philips+AudioTechs+Beyers have a similar design that doesn't look like they will break when stressed.

These 595's started to crack within those 2 years. I've let it persist and now just hold it together with tape. They are shattered on both sides with wires exposed n shit :)))))))))

What do you recommend? I've paid $150 a pop for these headphones, but doubt spending $300 will make it more enjoyable to frag out in games and listen to youtube right? :D

I use both beyer dt990pro and HD558 in games and dt990pro has more bass impact and more detail in top end but for my big ears I find hd558 more comfortable so use those mostly. But for movies and games DT990pro are better SQ wise.

I love my AKG Q701s, but would recommend the K702 because of the annoying bumps on the inside of the Q701 headband. They run around $200. The self-adjusting system is really nice, they're relatively light, and soundstage is excellent. They do sound best with an amp, but even unamped are probably my favorite set. I've also had various Sennheiser and AudioTechnica models over the years.

Last edited:
I've had the Sony MA900 for a few years now after my 595s broke. They've held up well as the band is magnesium. Super light and super open, great for gaming in that regard. Drop them all the time without a problem.

MA900s are probably the most comfy, light, and surprisingly simple yet durable cans around. Oh and the width of the soundstage and imaging is something alright! Have you swapped the pads yet? Dekoni 990 Pro pads fit on them very well btw.

YUkxRadl.jpg

Likewise, I'll go with Sony MA900 . It is a leading headphone and easy to use. Besides, Sony is a very well known manufacturer of electronics.

The best headphones are the 20$ ones. You will never miss about the money you spended. But as for home system goes, AudioTechs and Sony are my favourites and pairly priced for their quality. AKG monitors seems a bit overpriced but i had a sound orrgasm when i first heard them.

Back