headphone output on AV40

darkpark

Gawd
Hi, does anyone know what the output is on the headphone jack of the m-aduio av40 speakers? can it drive some decent headphones? m-audio's site doesn't contain this information.

thank you in advance.

It isn't listed but I doubt that it'll have the power to drive a good set of cans.

Friend of mine had av40s the headphone plug wont drive cans that need a amp.

Page 6 of the manual shows the block diagram of the monitor's inner workings.
The headphone port doesn't get any boost from the power amps. So, no, it won't power your DT990s (if it's the 250 or 600ohm flavor).

Why bother, the TiHD has plenty of power to drive the 250ohm version? You want to use the volume control on your speakers, don't you?

Last edited:
Its probably just a bother to plug your headphones in the back of the computer every time he wants to use headphones.

I have the AV40's and a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40fs headphones. With cans plugged in, I can turn up the volume knob on the 40's all the way and it isn't that loud. I also have a SB X-fi Titanium card and it doesn't drive my cans too well. I ended up getting a FiiO E9 since it has a 1/4" headphone jack and routing audio through that to my AV40's.

you're right, i don't want to keep reaching to the back of my computer to plug in my headphones. it's too bad that the titanium x-fi HD cannot have it's output controlled via software.

feetus, how is the E9 working for you? I was checking it out some time ago. how do you have it connected?

As a Fiio E9 owner I can tell you it'll power virtually anything on the market (minus high end STAX) so its pretty much a great deal considering what it offers , has a nice warm sound and has the option for an awesome portable , quality DACs (E7 and the E17).

will the E9 work with my setup? i don't mind plugging in and unplugging my headphones so long as it's within an arm's reach (near my mouse and keyboard). from my titanium xfi HD (RCA out) -> E9 -> AV40s or headphones.

will the E9 work with my setup? i don't mind plugging in and unplugging my headphones so long as it's within an arm's reach (near my mouse and keyboard). from my titanium xfi HD (RCA out) -> E9 -> AV40s or headphones.

Yes just fine. If you want to upgrade it down the road, add a dac and plug it into the optical out on the xfi.

The other entry level amps that I REALLY like are these:

The cmoy altoid is better than the E9 imo. The objective 2 is about as good an amp as you could ever hope for under $150.

http://www.jdslabs.com/storeAmps.php

the objective 2 looks very nice, but it lacks a of the features of the e9: being able to connect my AV40s and then plug in my headphones whenever I want.

all i really want is to be able to switch between my AV40s and my headphones without a lot of hassle and be able to drive my headphones with a decent amp.

Just examples of other good entry level amps.

The E9 is a good choice for your setup.

Back