Headphone amplifier suggestions?

Fryguy8

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm ready to purchase a headphone amplifier. I'm looking for something that takes RCA input, 1/4" output.

It will be powering a set of Grado SR225s via a Denon AVR-1905 receiver. Strictly home usage, so 120VAC power is fine. Preferably black brushed metal to match the denon receiver.

Anybody have any suggestions? Budget is a couple of hundred or so. I'm open for getting something handbuilt (mister_x) if they think they can build something well suited for my Grados.

Treyshadow said:
mention the words PPA.
I'm not so sure. I never really found a good synergy with my PPA and 325i, MS-2 or RS-2. I actually preferred an el-cheapo Apheared 47 (<$100) to my PPA (much more) with them. I tried opamp swaps and source swaps, and still preferred the A-47 (with an OPA-637 as the channel opamp). The PPA is still my fav with the Senns though!

I'd recommend a well built Millet Hybrid (Mullet :p ) for your pricerange, and a Mapletree Ear+ or Singlepower for a lot more :)

Oh, and I've heard that Dynalos are good with Grados, but I've never heard one.

Fryguy8 said:
this millet hybrid?
No, no, no. The Millet I'm talking about is a DIY amp. Contact a builder (MisterX), should cost half that, or less depending on configuration IIRC.

Eh, I kinda don't want a tube.

I dunno.

Any other suggestions?

Are the low-end headroom amps a waste of time? Like the Micro?

Is the extra signal processing worth it on something like that?

the MMM or M cubed is supposed to match up with grados wonderfully (im building one now) from my perusing headfi and hardforum i can say that Mister X's workmanship is supposed to be second to none, so you can rest assured that anything he builds you will be quite good. anyways, ask him about an M cubed amp with steps PS, should run "a couple hundred"

Nat

Matching Grados to an amp is tough..they can get very bright with some amps..maybe a Grado amp, but $$$. Or try a different HP. I have had the 325i and the 225, just was not my cup of tea. But thats just my worthless opinion. If anyone can match them for you it is Mr. X. He can steer you in the right direction ;)

i built a little dot micro kit and it works very well with my sr225s and is very portable. i have sensitive ears so it might not be enough juice for you...

BTW, why are you running this through a receiver? You could cut that stage out and go directly from the source, whatever it is, to the headphone amp...no need to stick the receiver in the middle.

the receiver offers full direct passthrough, so it's not something I'm worried about

Leaning rather heavily towards a gilmore lite or similar design.

What's the reason to use a headphone amp in combination with a receiver? I only ask because I recently switched to using 280hds + a cmoy for everything to a panasonic xr55 receiver + speakers and haven't really felt the need to try and attach a headphone amp to the receiver.

I dunno, headphone output just doesn't feel that good, and also the connection is a bit loose, so sometimes I have to wiggle it to get a proper sound.

peacetilence said:
What's the reason to use a headphone amp in combination with a receiver? I only ask because I recently switched to using 280hds + a cmoy for everything to a panasonic xr55 receiver + speakers and haven't really felt the need to try and attach a headphone amp to the receiver.
Some receivers have terrible headphone outs.

And in some cases, the headphone amp may offer cleaner amplification than the receiver as well. Since headphones are in general more accurate than loudspeakers, that extra clean signal can sometimes make a difference.

Grados for example, despite high sensitivity numbers, are rather picky creatures...they will reveal any distortion in the signal...so having a solid amp can make a good difference with them.

I have Klipsch Promedias, and will be getting Grado SR-60's soon, as well as a Creative X-FI. Will a heaphone amplifier be appropriate between my Klipsch & Grados, or should I be plugging headphones directly into the sound card? Or how about the headphone amplifier between the sound card & Grados?

On the Lam said:
I have Klipsch Promedias, and will be getting Grado SR-60's soon, as well as a Creative X-FI. Will a heaphone amplifier be appropriate between my Klipsch & Grados, or should I be plugging headphones directly into the sound card? Or how about the headphone amplifier between the sound card & Grados?

If there is no amp, just plug the headphones directly into the soundcard. If there is an amp in there, then the latter choice (card --> amp --> cans).

If it's the ProMedia Ultra 5.1's then that unit has a headphone port to connect your Grados. It's a pretty clean amplification, and has decent power for up to mid-level resistance cans.

lol my promedia's headphone out sounds like pure shit. Barely better then plugging straight into x-fi, which also sounds like ass. My X-fi's been relegated to Transport status, as my little 200$ NON-OS dac stomps it to hell and back.

Actually my Klipsch Promedia's are the 4.1 Rev2 or something like that...they're several years old...Thanks for the replies!

Back