headphone amp for $100 AUD

Status
Not open for further replies.
What can a headphone amp do for you? Well, it can increase the sound stage, deepen the bass, ionize the flux capacitators, engage the thermal hyperdrive, fire the anti matter class 5 wessex richtophen blast drives, and do your laundry. But realistically, you will pay $100 to plug into a loudy thingy instead of using your audio controls. With $0.25 USD, I can find a more cost effective way to destroy my hearing. It involves buying a pencil, taking the sharpened end, and jamming it into my left ear canal. With that same pencil, I could just take it out, and jam it into my right ear canal. I would be even deafer than if I used a loudy switch.

TheWikipediaPwnzJ00 said:
What can a headphone amp do for you? Well, it can increase the sound stage, deepen the bass, ionize the flux capacitators, engage the thermal hyperdrive, fire the anti matter class 5 wessex richtophen blast drives, and do your laundry. But realistically, you will pay $100 to plug into a loudy thingy instead of using your audio controls. With $0.25 USD, I can find a more cost effective way to destroy my hearing. It involves buying a pencil, taking the sharpened end, and jamming it into my left ear canal. With that same pencil, I could just take it out, and jam it into my right ear canal. I would be even deafer than if I used a loudy switch.

Two options:
1. You have crap ears.
2. You have no experience with mid/high end audio equipment (which I suspect so since you asked about a Boostaroo). In that case your post, while somewhat funny, is complete and utter crap. Actually, even if you had experience, your post is complete and utter crap.

Fox_au... what headphones and what source are you planning to use it with? If your source is somewhat decent and if your headphones are that aswell, an amp will indeed help (though not all that much in that price range), but if you plan on using onboard sound and a pair of earbuds you can just skip the amp. Knowing what you have now would help alot.

i have a 5 disc yamaha cd player pretty old 1 model is cdc-50
right now i have a pair of senn hd 202 and a pair of sony mdr-v500 but i will be gettin a better pair around the end of the year like the senn hd 595

digitalmind said:
Two options:
1. You have crap ears.
2. You have no experience with mid/high end audio equipment (which I suspect so since you asked about a Boostaroo). In that case your post, while somewhat funny, is complete and utter crap. Actually, even if you had experience, your post is complete and utter crap.

Fox_au... what headphones and what source are you planning to use it with? If your source is somewhat decent and if your headphones are that aswell, an amp will indeed help (though not all that much in that price range), but if you plan on using onboard sound and a pair of earbuds you can just skip the amp. Knowing what you have now would help alot.
Maybe I am just sane. I expect to hear a difference between $100 and $20 headphones. If it takes $1000 to hear the difference, then I would rather not jump on the anal rete..... er audiophile bandwagon.

fox_au said:
so is it worth it
Unless you have 100,000,000 OHMS quad force phaser utility boosters, then chances are that even my posterior orfice will be a more than ample source for your hd 202s. On the other hand, if you want a happy loud switch, then by all means buy an amp.

dude wat is ur problem i come onto this forum and ask for help about stuff i and i get an complete idiot who keeps having ago on me about headphone amps stuffing up ur ears

First of all, I don't think you can hold me accountable for you lacking the capacity to know sarcasm when you see it. I answered your question. Tu headphonos muy el cheapo to be el helpoed by el ampos. (from your previous post, I just guessed english wasn't your first language, sarcasm, you see? ;) ) Your headphones will be sufficiently powered by any source . You should only be worried about improving sound quality on $200+ 1000ohms headphones, which IMO, are not worth the money for the marginally better sound quality. For the majority of us, amps really are an idiot's happy switch for destroying your ears.

all i was doin askin a question about headphone amps and u come around try to act like a smart ass

Smartass he may be, but he did answer your question. ;)

No, with the stuff you have it's not worth it... put the $100 AUD aside for a better headphone first.

Maybe I am just sane. I expect to hear a difference between $100 and $20 headphones. If it takes $1000 to hear the difference, then I would rather not jump on the anal rete..... er audiophile bandwagon.

If you can't hear the difference between $100 and $20 headphones, my option 1 seems quite reasonable. In that case, you're just lucky and will never feel compelled to dump alot of moolah into this hobby. :)

Excuse me, bitch (not in a flaming way, but in you're my friend way), but you really cannot make me responsible for your inability to comprehend simple sarcasm. Anyway, let's stop being overtly sensitive. The wiki is on my side and you will never win as long as I invoke its wrath upon you.
Edit: See bitch, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitch , you are a bitch in a good way according to line 4 of variants.

thewikipwnzjoo has a good point. You'll never hear a good improvement with the cans you have now. Save up to buy some nice headphones or you're just wasting your money. (might as well buy a pencil and jam it in your ears!)

Wikipwnzjoo: dude, you can't really convey sarcasm on the internet... lawlmgzorz wikipwnzjoo is a stupid pieces of turd troll zomg zomg! REPORT! OH NOES!

Excuse me, bitch (not in a flaming way, but in you're my friend way), but you really cannot make me responsible for your inability to comprehend simple sarcasm. Anyway, let's stop being overtly sensitive. The wiki is on my side and you will never win as long as I invoke its wrath upon you.
Edit: See bitch, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitch , you are a bitch in a good way according to line 4 of variants.

You are being a complete ass about this situation. You post a message implying that a headphone amp is for blowing your hears off, when it isn't designed to do that; a headphone amp is designed to bring out the good side of a set of headphones if they're good ones.

I can tell that when you jumped into this thread that you honestly didn't know what the point of a headphone amp was.

Now you are off calling people "bitch" (IN A FRIENDLY WAY?!?!?). Excuse me but the first, second, thru last time I've ever heard bitch used as a word, it was an insult.

Mods, please take care of this thread crapper.

As for an amp, I would get a PA2V2 (electric-avenues.com) for Gary makes one mean amp over there!

Edit: I noticed your HD202 headphones. Those are designed to run on anything, including basic underpowered MP3 players and CD players. You don't have a need for an amp for those. But if you move up to anything from HD555's and up (595's, 600's, 650's, 580's etc.), then you'll want an amp--in which a 60 dollar PA2v2 will do just fine. That or a CMOY amp from eBay.

Hope that helps.

Heh, looks like someone got drunk and instead of going out and getting some tail, decided to post in an online forum.

I agree with what has been said by the other posters...you're better off spending that $100AUD on a nicer pair of headphones. Pay no attention to what the other guy is saying. The difference between $20 and even $60 is huge. While I cannot yet attest to the effects of an amplifier, as I'm still in the process of building mine, from what I have been told, the amplifier can really bring out certain parts of the music. But in your case, spend some money on headphones first, then save up for the amp.

www.head-fi.org for all your needs. Careful though, it's an addiction.

azulcorvette said:
You are being a complete ass about this situation. You post a message implying that a headphone amp is for blowing your hears off, when it isn't designed to do that; a headphone amp is designed to bring out the good side of a set of headphones if they're good ones.

I can tell that when you jumped into this thread that you honestly didn't know what the point of a headphone amp was.

Now you are off calling people "bitch" (IN A FRIENDLY WAY?!?!?). Excuse me but the first, second, thru last time I've ever heard bitch used as a word, it was an insult.

Mods, please take care of this thread crapper.

As for an amp, I would get a PA2V2 (electric-avenues.com) for Gary makes one mean amp over there!

Edit: I noticed your HD202 headphones. Those are designed to run on anything, including basic underpowered MP3 players and CD players. You don't have a need for an amp for those. But if you move up to anything from HD555's and up (595's, 600's, 650's, 580's etc.), then you'll want an amp--in which a 60 dollar PA2v2 will do just fine. That or a CMOY amp from eBay.

Hope that helps.
Yep, mmm hmmm. You should have read my posts instead of assuming everything I said was to crap on his thread. I did say a headphone amp will do nothing for him. I also stated that he would need high ohms headphones to hear the difference. I didn't say the amp's purpose was to blow out your ears, but that would be an amps purpose should he purchase them to power his hd 202s. About the bitch in a friendly way, the wikipedia is on my side. You can't possibly hope to win now. Again, 4th line of variants.

You can't possibly hope to win now. Again, 4th line of variants.

Actually it says "bitchin" is the only friendly variant of the word bitch, calling someone a bitch is offensive.

Come on, it's close enough. You all know I think highly of fox_au.

Yeah I know; I also think incredibly highly of you. You're right up there with Stephen Hawking (no hes not the guy that writes those horror books you buy at Walmart while looking for the cheapest box of wine)

If you can handle the DIY thing check out
Jaycar:
Catalog # KC5417
&
Catalog # KC5418

Add a case and you would have what is reported to be a pretty nice amp.

si0dine said:
Yeah I know; I also think incredibly highly of you. You're right up there with Stephen Hawking (no hes not the guy that writes those horror books you buy at Walmart while looking for the cheapest box of wine)
Awwwwww. I think highly of you too :D You're right up there with Joe Lieberman, Hillary Clinton, Gloria Olride, Mao Zedong, and Adolf Hitler in my book.

Note: I wasn't trying to insult you, I just thought it was a good time to make a cheap shot at the world's greatest assholes.

Note: I wasn't trying to insult you, I just thought it was a good time to make a cheap shot at the world's greatest assholes.
And I think this would be a good time to give you a week's vacation for trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back