Headphone advice needed

AeriaGloris

Limp Gawd
Currently I have this heatset http://www.ebuyer.com/product/105454
I'm looking at getting some proper headphones, specifically Sennheiser HD 280Pros.
I'll use them on my pc, for games, movies and music. I have an X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card. Will I need an amp for these?
Can I get anything better for the money? I'd prefer closed headphones.

Thanks

u wont need an amp- the x-fi is good for cans up to about 150 ohms

for closed cans- the hd280 is a good deal. the hd215 is nice also and can be found for 40.00 around the web

Mine broke after a few months. Not the speakers, the crappy plastic thing the holds it on your head. I have a big head and these weren't the greatest. I will upgrading to some HD600's in the future.

for closed cans- the hd280 is a good deal.
Agreed. A dab of EQ on the low end and they're pretty damn solid. Very decent when driven by an Audigy or X-Fi line out, too -- no significant benefits with good amplification.

I don't have them, but from what I've read, they have a fairly flat sound some love and some find boring/unengaging. The headband probably will eventually crack and break, it seems to be a matter of time. The isolation is excellent however. I don't know if they sell them in the UK, but the Equation RP-21 is probably the closed sub 100USD to get now.

Hmm so which one to go for?

SENNHEISER HD280 PRO £73 delivered

EQUATION RP-21 £55 delivered

Audio-Technica ATH-A700 £57 delivered

The HD280-Pro is an excellent set of cans. I believe the main flaw is that the headband tends to break after a while.

The A700s have *huge* cups. The head support uses a wing design instead of a traditional headband. If either of those things is a turn-off for you, the HD280-Pro is still great. If this doesn't bother you, I think the comfort and sound quality is notably superior.

If you're in for a long read, here is a PDF where the following are reviewed:

* Audio Technica ATH A900
* Audio Technica ATH FC7
* AKG K 271
* AKG K 81 DJ
* AKG K 181 DJ
* Beyerdynamic DT 250-80
* Beyerdynamic DT 250-250
* Beyerdynamic DT 660
* Beyerdynamic DT 770-80 Pro
* Beyerdynamic DT 831
* Sennheiser HD 25-1
* Sennheiser HD 201
* Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
* Sony V6
* Ultrasone HFI 650 Trackmaster
* Etymotic ER-4P/S
* Shure E3

The ATH-A900s are a more expensive version of the ATH-A700 that are very similar. The main difference is that the midtones on the A900s are a little weaker and the bass is a little stronger. Most of what he has to say about them should apply to the A700s. I think he also has fairly accurate pricing info (it's a little old) on the various phones, so maybe you'll see something you like better. Personal preference is the key factor.

The bass on the RP-21's go down real low and the midrange is pretty warm and smooth. The highs/treble could be better detailed, but it is still very good. The main problem with the Equations are that they clamp pretty hard, so comfort might be a problem for long sittings. The A700 mentioned earlier should be more comfortable that the RP21 and HD280s. I've never heard the AT's, but from what I've read, the general characteristic of the A#00 series are weak isolation, excellent soundstage, great bass and treble, but a somewhat distant midrange. I guess it's a choice of what kind of general characteristics you're looking for. Those three choices are all pretty different.

Back