• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Head scratching Enzotech Ultra performance on e8400..

lowteckh

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 23, 2008
Messages
5,073
Ok, I hate to post something like this but I'm at the end of the line with no other ideas now. I have an Enzotech Ultra/Extreme-X cooling an e8400 with a Noctua 1300rpm fan on a DFI JR P45 matx mobo.

Temps for stock is around 39-41c idle, 5x-60 Orthos load.

Temps for current O/C using IntelBurnTest (still unstable) @ 4.0GHz, 1.31vcore cpuz goes up to 77c. Idle is 46-48c.

I've reseated and applied different amounts of MX-2 already, bb size, 2x bb size, straight line but the temperature results are all the same. Ambiet temperature is very cool, running naked in 1st floor room that gets little sunlight. Frostytech and Anandtech both had positive reviews on this which is the reason I threw $70 at it (NCIX doesn't have the NT06-E, Lite won't fit).

Any help appreciated. I know IntelBurnTest kills temps, but idle stock and Orthos load temp seem quite high.
 
77c 100% load with 1.31vcore on that cooler is not to bad IMO It is not much more than a XP-90
Only thing I would try is if you can mod the hold down to put more pressure on the cpu. That was the problem with the first Thermalright Ultra's. Just pop a penny under the hold down and gain -5c
 
Those are okay temps @.@? My e6420 with a Scythe infinity/mugen at 3.4GHz (forgot voltages, got rid of that comp a while ago) didn't have such high temps. Think it was 30 idle and 50 load max with stock fan in a hot case.

Stock e8400 with this new cooler naked 40c and load 60....

Just concerned and confused as I've read about 2x idles and 4x loads for this chip and was expecting lower temps than a 65nm.
 
Considering you're at 4GHz, your temps seem perfectly good to me. It's just that your overclock doesn't seem particularly stable since you're failing IBT. However, that's a different issue. Heat-wise, there's no problem.
 
The temps look OK for 4GHz with raised voltage running IBT, given that's its not stable you are likely just pushing it too hard. Small changes in voltage and speeds can make a big difference, try clocking back to 3.8, lower the voltage, and see where that's gets you for temps and most importantly, stability. You gotta realize that a lot of people posting temps are not posting IBT temps, which are in many cases quite a bit higher than previous Prime95 testing.
 
I mean just idle stock e8400 it's at 40c and load stock it's 60c.
 
Then that is pretty hot. Recheck your mounting, and make sure you're getting a good spread with your thermal paste.
 
Back
Top