HDTV woes

Ok, so I'm trying to get HDTV on my HTPC, but it's just not working well.

Here are my system specs:
  • P4 Prescott 3.2ghz
  • 1gb Kingston HyperX
  • hauppauge PVR-150
  • hauppauge PVR-250
  • DVICO Fusion5 lite
  • XFX 6600 GT
  • Windows XP Pro

Basically, playback has a LOT of tearing when using the DVICO player. I loaded up the Sage TV beta and the tearing went away, but now there is stuttering on the video.

I'm sure I could fix the problem by ordering up a 7800GT and a A64 X2 3800, but that really seems like overkill to fix such a small problem.

I have no IRQ conflicts (a common issue) and a strong signal. In case it matters, the source material is 720P

From my limited knowledge, that setup seems to have enough horsepower to handle hdtv. Some things I would check - your CPU utilization when you're watching/recording hdtv. Is it spiking out? Maybe monitor your temps...prescotts run hot, maybe the proc is thermally throttling itself? Or maybe it's your encoder software? That's all I can think of, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable has more suggestions as well.

I'll try monitoring the cpu usage now while futzing with hardware acceleration.

Temps aren't a problem as my video card and cpu are cooled by a Koolance Exos

i have the 3.00.02 software and initially i was seeing that as well with high cpu usage.

in the configuration menu, display tab it fixed itself after i checked the VMR renderer, and its set to the zulu dxva decoder.

p4-3ghz + atix800xl

if you are getting "pauses" instead, check your signal strength, i get them when it drops below 75% or so.

yeeeeehaww!!!!! (and no, i'm not from the southwest)

Solution ended up being to turn off the nvidia image processing (as HD deinterlacing has to be done in software). Oh, and HDTV only works for me through Sage TV, but BOY is it nice.

I'm not going back to Beyond TV, even if someone PAID me. Here's one of my biggest problems with BTV: Watching live TV, change channels (I have 2 tuners) and the first channel stops recording. When I go back to that last channel, i lose any timebuffer that it should have had.

Similar problem when I hit "record" while watching a program on live TV. It DUMPS everything it's recorded so far and starts the recording all over. So if you are 30 minutes behind live broadcast and hit "record" you will lose that last 30 minutes. Sage TV doesn't have this problem at all

Lastly, Sage has HD support now and is FAR less buggy all around. Goodbye BTV!!!

Back