• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HDTV with 1080p24 mode?

octoberasian

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 13, 2007
Messages
4,081
Odd question: Any HDTV sets that even if they offer 60Hz, 120Hz or 240Hz offer a mode to switch back to cinema 24 FPS (or 1080p24)?

The reason is this: I love blurays for the quality and detail but the 60 FPS makes everything look too realistic.

Blue screen/green screen effects look more fake and move obvious and visible than before. "The Avengers" and the first trilogy of "Star Wars" just made the CG effects much more obvious. Just about every scene looks like I'm watching a live play instead of a 24 or 30 FPS film. If I wanted to watch a play, I'd watch a play in the theatre. If I wanted to watch "Phantom at the Opera" filmed on Broadway and recorded to Bluray disc, I'd watch that. However, I wouldn't want to watch something like "Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl" at 60 FPS and have it look like I'm watching a bunch of actors and actresses on a Disneyland sound stage in the middle of the theme park.

I hope that made sense. As we move towards higher and higher resolution film, I'd still like to watch them in their lower framerate.

For example, horror films look realistic in terms of blood and gore, but at the same time the extra detail and higher framerate makes the film look faker than before and often times dilutes the feel of fright and horror from it.

I love movies, but I love them in their original cinema format at 23.99, 24, or 30 FPS framerate. I'm wondering if there is an HDTV with a switchable 1080p24 mode.

Or, a Bluray disc player that can do that. I currently use PowerDVD to playback my BD movies onto my 32-inch HDTV. Luckily my HDTV is not 60 Hz, however, I'd like to upgrade it to a true 1080p HDTV set that is between a 36-inch to 42-inch screen. It's currently a 720p set (1366x768 resolution) that I got from Walmart for $399 a few years ago.

Any help with this, I would be especially grateful.

Thank you.
 
My Samsung Plasma does 24fps film mode. It's an older one, but I'm sure the current ones support it as well. It looks great with my older Sony Blu-Ray player that supports 24fps.

I'm sure you can find a local store that will give you a demo. If Best Buy won't, check with some high end dealers in your area.
 
I imagine most TVs from reputable brands support it -- although confirming that (finding it in the specs sheet) can be difficult.

I have a Sony KDL-40EX500 from a few years ago. Sony advertises 24Hz support with "24p True Cinema Technology" in the "Video Features" section of the spec sheet. (Really sad that Sony marketing mixed up 'p' and 'Hz'...) I always ran through my PC with no problems selecting 24 Hz, not sure how smart BluRay players are about using the correct refresh.

As for the high framerate issue you're describing: Disable any kind of motion interpolation the TV has to get rid of it. Sony calls it MotionFlow, and has a reverse-3:2 pulldown setting called CineMotion -- Both should be disabled when watching at 24Hz.

Playing at 60Hz is a different issue, called stutter or judder effect because every odd frame is displayed for 3 refreshes and the even frames are displayed for 2 refreshes. Makes panning cameras and fast movement look really bad. But yes, also fixed by running at 24Hz or an even multiple.

Edit: Definitely consider plasmas, they're still better in quality per dollar.
 
Back
Top