HDTV Screen Tearing on Certain Games / Modes

Cod

Gawd
The computer in my sig is hooked up to a Samsung 55" LED in my living room and it works fantastic for 90% of the games I play. However, when I play sports games, I get a tearing line about 6" from the top. Specifically, it happens when I play F1 2012 or NBA 2k13. Also, the tearing occurs in Steam Big Screen Mode when scrolling. Every game / mode I mentioned tears in the same place on the monitor.

I'm a graphics newb, so I'm not sure what the issue could be. My initial newbie thoughts are that it has something to do with vertical sync, anti-aliasing, or some other graphics term I don't know. Any thoughts? Are there any test I can run to try and pinpoint what's causing it? Any software to test this? Is there a reason the tear line is in the same spot when it does occur?

Thanks.

I would say v-sync is an excellent place to start. It's quick and easy to flip on and test, so why not give that a try and then let us know the results?

I turned on v-sync within one game and didn't notice the tearing like before; however, I did notice a slight blur (maybe my imagination from seeing it tear so much) in the identical location. Also, it locked the game to 60 fps. Why would v-sync stop tearing and lock frame rate? A TV limitation?

Back