hdtv or no hdtv for xbox360

hey i was wondering i have a 32 inch tv right now in my room but not hd tv is it worth going out and buying a hd tv will the graphics perform any better or does it look the same let me kno also post some pics of your xbox 360 gaming rooms

it will look better on HD, but I'm playing it right now on my 27" standard tv and it is still a huge improvement over the original xbox.

#1gamingcomp323 said:
ok so its not really worth buying a hd tv right now for me because i have a 32 inch tv

well depends on whether u WANT the higher visual quality or not (it is a noticable difference)

buying an HDTV will make it look 5 times better, dont listen to these guys.

If you can utilize the HD capabilities for more than just the 360, than I think it would be a good investment, but it all depends on how much you value your dollar. There will be a noticable difference with a HDTV, and if you just want a cheap set for the 360, then there are a couple 30" WS deals out there right now I think.

I have hooked up my 360 to three monitors.

A 22" samsung LCD HDTV @ 720p, a 26" Samsung CRT HDTV @1080i, and the 27" CRT @ 480i at my parents over thanksgiving.

Playing COD2, NFS:MW, PGR3, PDZ, and Condemmed on all three for various amounts of time, I have this to offer you.

Versus the original Xbox, the 360 does look a ton better. Hooked up via composite it looks like shit comparatively as anything would. S-video at a bare minimum or Component hookups are HIGHLY recommended regardless of analog or digital TV use.

Jumping to HD on the same games on the LCD, the graphics are absolutely amazing. People who tell you the difference is barely noticeable are blind. The 26" CRT is what I prefer to play on right now, but jumping down to the 22" LCD still produces amazing visual quality.

If you decide to get an HDTV, you won't be disappointed based how the 360 will look. The HDTV offerings in your area will be the other deal breaker. Based on that, you might not want to pay for cable or satellite HD offerings. I would reccomend making sure you get a set or set-top box with an off-air tuner in it so that even if you don't get cable or satellite you canhook up an antenna and get your local channels at least.

As far as TV's go, there are lots of 26"-30" models for less than $1000 to choose from.

I bought an HDTV Recently, man there is just a massive difference in anything that can take advantage of the quality HDTV offers.

Once you get one, you'll be trying all sorts of new things to make use of the capabilities.

Yes, an HDTV will make it look 100% better, and not just your 360, DVDs, TV (if you get an HD feed), etc, will all be much more enjoyable.

I have seen the 360 on a 27" Sony flatscreen analog set and my 57" widescreen HD Hitachi. The visual quality on the Hitachi for games like Kameo or PD0 is just incredible.

I'd say your best bet for a bedroom set right now, since you are already used to a 32" 4:3 screen, would be to buy this Westinghouse 37" Widescreen set:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6998378&type=product&id=1110265591243

I personally wouldn't buy a widescreen smaller than 37" for a bedroom.

The difference isn't marginal...it's very noticeable. I've played both.

Not saying you should go out and get a new HDTV... Maybe just get the 360, play it (it still looks good and you'll still have fun) and then get an HDTV later?

By all means if you can comfortably afford an HDTV you should go get one.

720p and a flat panel LCD/Plasma will look better than a regular CRT tv, but if you dont have the money for an LCD a 1080i CRT tv will still look nice as well.

airiox said:
720p and a flat panel LCD/Plasma will look better than a regular CRT tv, but if you dont have the money for an LCD a 1080i CRT tv will still look nice as well.

It won't by defacto... CRTs and LCDs have different strengths. LCDs tend to be sharper, and an LCD at native 720p is a beautiful thing, however, you still have very crappy black levels compared to a CRT, which can be a big deal.

Personally, I think LCDs suck at being TVs, but are great as computer monitors where black level doesn't matter nearly as much (I don't watch movies on my PC, and game on it maybe an hour a month at most when I am hellaciously bored). For a TV, CRTs still give you the best overall image quality bar none.

As far as resolutions go, 720p technically has more information on screen than 1080i, but no one has been able to tell the two apart in double blind tests.

Depending on which tv you get there are different things to look at.

Most, notice I said most, LCD's are going to be fixed resolution usually 720p. Depending on what you want to spend there are also 1080p panels. A fixed resolution display will turn every signal into it's native resolution, so 480p stuff on an LCD, as far as games go, might look a little jaggedy. For the 360, this won't matter.

Using a CRT gives you the benefit of the TV having different scanning modes. If you have a CRT that supports 480p, 720p, and 1080i, the TV will display each to the best of it's abilities.
Not all CRT TV's will accept 720p, but they are starting to appear in the newer model lineups.

I have an LCD and CRT HDTV, and both blow onlookers away. Get the biggest version of either one that you can afford in your budget.

Kahnvex said:
Depending on which tv you get there are different things to look at.

Most, notice I said most, LCD's are going to be fixed resolution usually 720p. Depending on what you want to spend there are also 1080p panels. A fixed resolution display will turn every signal into it's native resolution, so 480p stuff on an LCD, as far as games go, might look a little jaggedy. For the 360, this won't matter.

Using a CRT gives you the benefit of the TV having different scanning modes. If you have a CRT that supports 480p, 720p, and 1080i, the TV will display each to the best of it's abilities.
Not all CRT TV's will accept 720p, but they are starting to appear in the newer model lineups.

I have an LCD and CRT HDTV, and both blow onlookers away. Get the biggest version of either one that you can afford in your budget.

Actually, most HDTV CRTVs convert everything to 1080i. CRTs are just far superior to LCDs when it comes to scaling non-native resolutions.

Nullo, that used to be true but if you look around at the specs of the newer ones, some will have 720 as an native option as well. There are a couple of samsung models that do, but thats the thing that springs to mind currently.

Every one I sold also had 480p native support as well, unless you know of one that specifically stated that it did not.

some of the older ones wouldn't even accept 720p for a time, glad thats done with.

Kahnvex said:
Nullo, that used to be true but if you look around at the specs of the newer ones, some will have 720 as an native option as well. There are a couple of samsung models that do, but thats the thing that springs to mind currently.

Every one I sold also had 480p native support as well, unless you know of one that specifically stated that it did not.

some of the older ones wouldn't even accept 720p for a time, glad thats done with.

Most accept 720p and 480p (yeah, I remember those Zeniths, ugh, that had one set of component inputs for 480p and one for 1080i... what a CS bitch those were....) but I can't think of anything other than professional models that actually display the exact resolution inputted.

Back