• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HDTV on x1800xt?

frankyk

Gawd
Joined
Jan 30, 2004
Messages
891
First of all, does the x1800xt support HDTV? On the box it says it does, but what part on it would make it 'support it?'

I was going through the package contents of my x1800xt and I saw an S-Video cable with a converter to 3 colored input plugs (red, yellow, blue)

and I also saw an S-Video to a Dual S-Video converter with 2 yellow input plugs, what is this?

Anyway, how do I set up my graphics card for "HDTV?"

how is it different from HDCP?
 
frankyk said:
First of all, does the x1800xt support HDTV? On the box it says it does, but what part on it would make it 'support it?'

HDTV usually means it has component output.

I was going through the package contents of my x1800xt and I saw an S-Video cable with a converter to 3 colored input plugs (red, yellow, blue)

That is component.

and I also saw an S-Video to a Dual S-Video converter with 2 yellow input plugs, what is this?

That is VIVO.

Anyway, how do I set up my graphics card for "HDTV?"

You plug it in...

how is it different from HDCP?

HDCP is copy protection. You need an HDCP video card if you want to play Blu-Ray or HD-DVD movies on your computer.
 
is there anyway to get around HDCP copy protection or do I have to get one of those graphics card cuz my graphics card is still pretty good
 
frankyk said:
is there anyway to get around HDCP copy protection or do I have to get one of those graphics card cuz my graphics card is still pretty good
Nope. But are you REALLY gonna watch HD DVD or BR on your computer?
 
frankyk said:
is there anyway to get around HDCP copy protection or do I have to get one of those graphics card cuz my graphics card is still pretty good

Well a better question would be... do you have an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disk drive on your computer? If not, you don't need to worry about HDPC.
 
chris.c said:
HDTV usually means it has component output.

How would this be? HDTV has nothing to do with component...Component is ANALOG not digital. I think its meaning with a DVI to HDMI cable you can hook it up to your HDTV.
 
so dvi has nothing to do with hd, but it allows for the transfer of digital? thus going to HD if you have a converter?
 
frankyk said:
so dvi has nothing to do with hd, but it allows for the transfer of digital? thus going to HD if you have a converter?
The Buyer's Guide said:
High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP)
HD-DVD and BlueRay discs will eventually (2009?) begin to use full (AACS + ICT) HDCP encrytion which will demand a HDCP ready video card with DVI/HDMI and a HDCP ready monitor/HDTV for HD resolutions (720p/1080i/1080p). The alternative is a downscaled image (540p) or no image for analog connections and no image for digital connections.
hdcphn3.png

AACS: HDCP encryption
ICT: Decides what kind of image is displayed
DVI can be used without a converter (DVI to HDMI) for HDCP material.
 
frankyk said:
so dvi has nothing to do with hd, but it allows for the transfer of digital? thus going to HD if you have a converter?

DVI is HD it is the same thing as HDMI it just dont carry sound.
 
Back
Top