HDTV on 2001fp

Splat1

n00b
Has anybody had any experiance hooking up the 2001fp to a HD source either via DVI or via 15pin RGB? I know there are converters out there that can take a HDTV source via componant and convert it to a RGB connection. What Is the exact resolution and refresh for HD resolutions(480p/720p/1080i)? I would like to test this before buying any hardware with my radeon 9600 if possible. I know the Genisis chip that the Dell uses does have support for HDTV but Dell did not use the external componant connections. Any Insight on this would be helpfull.

Splat.

i BELIEVE that you have to be able to have a dispay that can run at 1920/1080 for a HD signal, which is why the Apple 23 inch display has the HD in the title and the 20 inch which doenst have as high a resolution does not have HD on it anywhere

You'll need a dongle that will accept a component input and convert it to either VGA signal or DVI (I think most of them do VGA though). Then you can plug your DVD/console using component inputs into the converter and plug the converter into the monitor to get a progressive image at whatever resolution the output is in. Here's a link to a place that sells these, link. The device is called KD-XB and will do what you want. I think it supports all resolutions up to 1080i. I think that the refresh rates for the progressive resolutions 480p, 720p, etc is 60Hz while the interlaced ones (480i, 1080i) are around 30Hz. Although I'm not 100% certain on that.

From reviews of the above device it seems the quality of the output is excellent. There may be cheaper alternatives but I'm not sure how well they work. I ordered one of these a couple of days ago to use with my Gamecube and DVD player to get progressive output on the 2001FP. If anyone's interested I can post some impressions about it once I get the thing.

Thanks for the Link and the feedback. Let me know how that adapter works and at what resolutions. I would be interested to see what the xbox would look like hooked up to this.

Im pretty sure the Dell will not do HDTV.. Atleast through the DVI cable. Possibly though the D-Sub but Im guessing that they would have advertised that if it supported it. Ill probably send my 2001fp's back and pick up the viewsonics which do support 720p resolutions but do not have the svideo cable or the backlighting problems.

the 2001fp and the vp201x use the exact same panel. so if the vp201 supports hdtv you can bet the 2001fp does too. whether it will run at native 1600x1200 or some lower, ugly pixelated rez is unknown to me.

I tend to disagree here. Both displays have the same panel but the controller chip is different. I had both displays and the vp201 supported resolutions on the DVI that the 2001fp would not. Still waiting for somebody to confirm this though..

I just hooked up my dish 811 via dvi to my planar px171 and it shows up fine in 720p as well as 480p it would not show 1080i as that is 1920x1080. So set your source to 720 or 480 and see if it works through dvi.

yeah the progressive signal should be fine, but the original question was about high definition signals, which still would be outside of the lcds resolution.

I tried using the 2001FP with my housemates Sony HD300 DirecTV receiver last night without success.

I'm not sure that I configured everything correctly.

I left the receiver attached to our HDTV via component cables.
I connected the RGB (sub-D 15 pin) and DVI outputs to the monitor. I tried all available display options without success. The monitor acts as though no signal is being received.

I don't know where the manual is, and didn't see any options on the receiver/menu to switch output from Component to RGB/DVI.

I checked some reviews on the product and many people use the DVI cables without complication, so I think all HD outputs probably work simultaneously.

I'd really like to make this work so any suggestions will be appreciated.

Originally posted by ingenious28
yeah the progressive signal should be fine, but the original question was about high definition signals, which still would be outside of the lcds resolution.

The only HDTV signal that would be out of the 2001FP's resolution would be 1920x1080i, mainly because it's widescreen so it wouldn't fit horizontally. All the other ones would fit in without any problems since the LCD has a resolution of 1600x1200. The chip that controls this LCD has actually been made specifically for HDTVs, and it even supports component input. The only problem is that Dell didn't use them. Still, an adapter should work, so should either VGA or DVI connection.

Originally posted by Orgazmo
I tried using the 2001FP with my housemates Sony HD300 DirecTV receiver last night without success.

I'm not sure that I configured everything correctly.

I left the receiver attached to our HDTV via component cables.
I connected the RGB (sub-D 15 pin) and DVI outputs to the monitor. I tried all available display options without success. The monitor acts as though no signal is being received.

I don't know where the manual is, and didn't see any options on the receiver/menu to switch output from Component to RGB/DVI.

I checked some reviews on the product and many people use the DVI cables without complication, so I think all HD outputs probably work simultaneously.

I'd really like to make this work so any suggestions will be appreciated.

I found the manual for the Sony HD receiver online. Turns out that there is a output selector switch on the back of the unit.

I'll retest when I get home from work.

Originally posted by Orgazmo
I found the manual for the Sony HD receiver online. Turns out that there is a output selector switch on the back of the unit.

I'll retest when I get home from work.

GOOD NEWS!!! The 2001FP displays all formats of HD with varied levels of success. (Using DVI-D)

There is some cropping/resolution distortion with 1080i but it does display.

I'll try each HD format with the rescale vs native aspect options on the LCD to detremine the best setup for each HD signal format.

I'll report back soon.

How does 720P look? Does it stretch to fill the screen or does it have bars? Also do you have any pics of this? Great news though.

Originally posted by Splat1
How does 720P look? Does it stretch to fill the screen or does it have bars? Also do you have any pics of this? Great news though.

I'm still figuring out the options. There are three different display modes on the LCD. (Fill 1:1 and aspect (?) I think)

I read something about the Sony receiver that said it defaults DVI output to whatever the monitor can display. I think that’s why the 1080i and 720P modes appeared to exhibit similar characteristics.

I don't think RGB does this. I'll confirm tonight.

When viewing modes through DVI without setting the LCD to 'Fill', the entire image is displayed but the picture is compressed latterly 10 - 15%.

With some content you can see a thin bar of white noise above the image regardless of input signal format. The bar looks more like a skinny graphic equalizer than static. You can probably adjust the screen to move the static out of the viewable area.

This doesn't appear on all channels or when using the 'fill' option which preserves the native aspect ratio with chopped sides.

I’ll try to get some pics tonight but there are a lot of modes to document. (2 input options) * (3 HD output formats) * (3 LCD display options) = 18 scenarios to test viewing 4 types of content (NTSC, 1080, 720...)

I’ll probably just post the best mode available for each connection type (DVI, RGB) and one picture showing the 15% compressed image.

There are quite a few lcd panels which will display HD given the right source. My Envison 9110 does pretty well in fact. The problem is none of these displays have any 2/3 pull down circuits and other cool stuff to make the picture really watchable.

Take a trip to a local store where they sell HD products and look at the differences between the good bad and ugly. There is a lot of difference between sets. CRT based sets still have the smoothest pictures. Light engine sets, LCD projector, DLP, LYCOS etc still all have artifact problems. Plasma, at the higher end isn't bad, just way expensive. Same holds true with LCD flat panel, only the expensive ones look really good.

Fun stuff to play with for sure though:D

BillR

720p = 1280x720 @ 60hz
1080i = 1920x1080 @ 30hz

Just as TVs dont make the greatest monitors and monitors don't make the greatest TVs I don't think this LCD would have much luck displaying HDTV. Even if it did it would be letterboxed with black bars at the top and bottom since this is not a widescreen display (watching sitcoms and the news in letterbox is the sux). I also don't believe it will work at 30hz negating the 1080i mode that most non-network HD is shown in. You could run straight DVI instead of using a component adapter, but Im not sure you would have anymore luck. I run straight from DVI to my hitachi HDTV and run a 1920x1080 HTPC setup that Im happy with but there are inherent problems in using a TV as a monitor display.

Originally posted by Splat1
I posted some pictures of 1080i content displayed in 720p at http://www.pbase.com/orgazmo/2001fp

The 'aspect' mode seems to work best for 16X9 content.

For a standard aspect screen displaying 1080i/720p content I think the picture looks great.

In 'fill' mode you'll notice that the image is compressed.

I still haven't tested RGB.

Originally posted by BillR
There are quite a few lcd panels which will display HD given the right source. My Envison 9110 does pretty well in fact. The problem is none of these displays have any 2/3 pull down circuits and other cool stuff to make the picture really watchable.

Take a trip to a local store where they sell HD products and look at the differences between the good bad and ugly. There is a lot of difference between sets. CRT based sets still have the smoothest pictures. Light engine sets, LCD projector, DLP, LYCOS etc still all have artifact problems. Plasma, at the higher end isn't bad, just way expensive. Same holds true with LCD flat panel, only the expensive ones look really good.

Fun stuff to play with for sure though:D

BillR

Most HD content is progressive (except 1080i) so 2/3 pulldown wouldn't do anything anyway. PC Monitors are always progressive.

Back