HDTV is broadcasted for free?

ive been hearing that HDTV is broadcasted along with the analog channels. I live by LA and i can receive the analog signals fine, do you thing i could get the HDTV signals too?

I just ordered a 2005fpw and im ready to use that as my tv too and i heard that regular analog tv looks like crap on there so im gonna go get an HDTV receiver. Will this work?

I feel like ive been living under a rock and i didnt even know this was broadcasted free... till now. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction to learn more about this? ive already googled and read a few articles but i dont know what connections are availible on HDTV receivers.

anybody else done this with their 2005fpw?

I think you are in the majority so don't feel too bad. Every time people ask me how I am getting my HD content and I show them the $40 Channel Master X-mas tree looking antenna in my attic they are shocked. They can't grasp that I spent so much money on a display and I'm using a $40 antenna to make it look so good...

I use a 2005FPW for watching HDTV broadcasts at home and I must say, it works pretty well. Using the DVI output on a Samsung HDTV box connection, I am able to get up to 7-8 HD channels during primetime on a typical evening. The monitor accepts 720p signals and scales them up to the size of the panel as well as 1080i signals and scales them down (don't know exactly how).

S-Video and Composite video work fine on the panel except be careful when switching inputs too quickly using the monitor's switching function. If you switch a signal before it fully loads, you may lose the ability to display signals altogether until you do a cold reboot of the panel itself.

The only downside of this panel is the lack of component inputs (which the 2405FPW has). Without component, you can not watch progressive scan DVDs or hook up any form of high quality video device that does not have DVI or VGA outputs (such as a cable box or XBox).

well i checked the website and it says i should be able to get most of the major channels i already have in digital format.

so basically from what you guys are saying, ill just need an HDTV receiver and a new antenna costing around 40 bucks?

also the second link said i needed a medium-directional antenna. whats a good one i can buy for cheap?

These guys should be able to help you with an antenna. I bought my Channel Master from Lowes and it works great when connected to a pre-amp that I also bought at Lowes.

seems like i need a medium directional antenna as all the signals for the mahoirty of the channels are broadcasted from the same place thats about 35 miles away.

do you know if it will work if i just use an indoor directional antenna w/ amp? id really prefer not to have to climb onto the roof to install a huge antenna.

peterhoang2002 said:
seems like i need a medium directional antenna as all the signals for the mahoirty of the channels are broadcasted from the same place thats about 35 miles away.

do you know if it will work if i just use an indoor directional antenna w/ amp? id really prefer not to have to climb onto the roof to install a huge antenna.

Mine is installed in my attic. I am approximately 12-15 miles away from the Atlanta stations. You could probably get away with purchasing a larger fringe area antenna and place it in a good location within your attic. If you also purchase a good pre-amp you might have good results. Just make sure that the place you purchase from accepts returns. That is the reason I purchased mine from Lowes. I thought I would just use it as a test and then return it for a better antenna, but it worked so well I decided to keep it.

Don't some new vid cards have antennas for this? I think I saw something on newegg with these?

im not sure i have an accessible attic. Never went up there before. I have a single story house but i dont think theres a ladder to get up there. Is it hard to mount the thing to the roof or the chimney?

peterhoang2002 said:
im not sure i have an accessible attic. Never went up there before. I have a single story house but i dont think theres a ladder to get up there. Is it hard to mount the thing to the roof or the chimney?

no, you just need the proper hardware and grounding.

It really is quite easy to mount an antenna outdoors if using the proper hardware and you take the necessary precaution of grounding correctly

This is the place I got my Channel Master 4228 antenna. They have good service, cheap prices and fast shipping.

http://www.starkelectronic.com/allant.htm

Mine works great. Just sucks that I am forced to use the ATI software though.

BoogerBomb said:
Mine works great. Just sucks that I am forced to use the ATI software though.

And that you are forced to use an ATI videocard and it can not be an AIW...

you dont have to use ATI software with the HDTV wonder... do research... and what other card is better than the HDTV wonder? the goldfusion? what does QAM support do.. you sure ass hell cant watch encrypted content. I'll take the cheapest thank you very much.

Elian said:
you dont have to use ATI software with the HDTV wonder... do research... and what other card is better than the HDTV wonder? the goldfusion? what does QAM support do.. you sure ass hell cant watch encrypted content. I'll take the cheapest thank you very much.
The Fusion 5 would be a much better choice, ATI's drivers have serious problems as well as incompatiblities with certain hardware (which is also why it's referred to as the "HD Blunder" among the HTPC community). I guess if you didn't know better and where using MCE the HD Wonder could be seen as acceptable but search around and you'll see it isn't a very good choice based on all the problems it has.

QAM support is useful if you don't want to have to dick around with an antenna, it has nothing to do with watching encryted content. :rolleyes:

Elian said:
wrong again... any DX9 card can be used

The guys over on AVS tend to disagree with you when it comes to real world results and not relying on what ATI claims. It seems that there are real problems getting them to work with Nvidia cards (amongst other issues), but it is possible to get them to work with some cards after much tinkering...

I am using a pair of rabbit ears sitting on the TV and that works great for me.

well i havent had problems with drivers under XP as well as i've seen the HDTV wonder used with cards from the 4600 series upwards to the 6800 series. The only thing is if the card doesnt drive DX9 Well (FX) or doesnt at all then you will have to have a helluva CPU to run 1080i

as for QAM, i've seen more OTA channels than QAM. and i dont find a problem with using an antenna (especially if you have it powered).

People shouldnt complain about the drivers though. this past driver release ATI has fixed just about every problem

the AVSforums have a very very long thread about the HDTV wonder and most of the problems are fixed there. I guess its just what you prefer though. I'd rather have an ATI card in the long run (as well as the fact that the chipset does support QAM just not in the software so if somebody takes the time they may be able to get QAM support but that isnt a problem for me.)

I got my HDTV wonder for 75shipped so i guess i can be biased. but i never had a hitch running it on a not so good system. and to be honest i like ATI's software.

and also, from what i've read.. the fusion 5 is no better than the fusion 3 unless you live in a big city or somewhere where the signals are going to bounce ALOT.

Back