• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HD's are dissapearing? Help

Phaze13

n00b
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
18
Basic System Info:
Case: Antech NSK 6500
CPU: Core 2duo
MB: ASUS P5N-E SLI
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1300XT (I know ;))
HD's:
60GB IDE - Cable select
80GB IDE - Cable select
120GB External FireWire - Music
160GB SATA - OS installed on a partition here
New:
250GB SATA
250GB SATA

Senerio:

Everything is/was working fine. 120GB External is maxed out with music. So I figured I would order 2 new internal 250 SATA HD's and put them in a RAID configuration for back up. Simple plan right?

Today I installed the 2 new HD's & partitioned them. Took about an hour. I did this with the side panel off. After that I transfered the music from the 120GB to one of the 250GB's. Took another hour or so. Didn't get back to working on the computer until hours later. This whole time the side panel was off and the computer on. Now the 60GB & 80GB IDE HD's are not showing up.

Huh?

All hard drives showed in the disk management utility earlier while configuring the new HD's. I power down the system and back up. Still missing drives. Short cut on desk top said path was no longer working make sure HD is configured correctly. HD's were HOT to the touch. Powered down and let sit for 10 min. Powered up still missing the IDE's.

Now I powered down and unplugged the new 250 SATA cables powered up and bingo the IDE's are back. Huh?

1) So what is the problem?

All drives showed up at once before in the disk management. So I figure it can be configured this way.

2) Is there a limited number of HD's the MB can support?

3) Am I taxing my P/S? 430Watt (came with case)

4) Did the hard drives get to hot due to having the case open? If so why just the IDE drives?

I'm lost any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
 
Update:
They disappeared again shortly after I posted this. I am starting to think it may be a motherboard problem. This morning when I powered up they do not show also. May indicate it is not a heat issue.

This sucks!

OK I powered down and unconnected the IDE cable from the MB. Connected it back in and plugged in all SATA cables. Powered up and all drives are present. Figured I would start copying data from the 80G to a new 250G to back up my info. In the middle of transferring files. They disappear & I get the message again. Drive location not available please make sure it is configured right (or something like that). They disappeared within a few min.

I need to get the data of this 80G HD. Family photos and what not.
 
Try taking the SATA drives out of the front HD cage and place them on a non-conductive surface (cardboard) next to the case. Connect your SATA cables and place a device to blow some air over the SATA drives while transferring data. This will address the heat issue. If this works, you will need to install the two optional 92 mm fans in the front of the case.

Did you install the RAID drivers?

You do realize that RAID is vastly overrated for a majority of users. I would connect each 250 SATA just as singular drives and forgo the RAID as this is the most trouble free configuration.

The stock 430w. may be approaching it limit with the additional two SATA HDs. Disconnect existing two HDs that do not hold the OS and retry the operation. If this works, upgrade to a quality PS like a Corsair HX520 or similar.


Good luck.
 
The 430W should be able to power all those drives, but it may not be up to the task.

I'm thinking its a driver issue. Did you DL the latest drivers from Asus/NVIDIA?

I'd set those IDE drives to Master and Slave, first.
 
Try taking the SATA drives out of the front HD cage and place them on a non-conductive surface (cardboard) next to the case. Connect your SATA cables and place a device to blow some air over the SATA drives while transferring data. This will address the heat issue. If this works, you will need to install the two optional 92 mm fans in the front of the case.

Did you install the RAID drivers?

You do realize that RAID is vastly overrated for a majority of users. I would connect each 250 SATA just as singular drives and forgo the RAID as this is the most trouble free configuration.

The stock 430w. may be approaching it limit with the additional two SATA HDs. Disconnect existing two HDs that do not hold the OS and retry the operation. If this works, upgrade to a quality PS like a Corsair HX520 or similar.


Good luck.

The drives are on rubber grommets in the cage so there should be no conductive surface currently. I just got back from Circuit City (but no luck with 92mm fans) Will place order shortly on new egg & have to wait.

Have not even thought about attempting the RAID configuration yet as I need to figure out this issue first. Maybe I will take your advice forgoing that setup Never tried it before seems simple but I'm not sure what I am getting myself into.

PS upgrade might just happen when I order the fans. Thanks for Corsair suggestion.




The 430W should be able to power all those drives, but it may not be up to the task.

I'm thinking its a driver issue. Did you DL the latest drivers from Asus/NVIDIA?

I'd set those IDE drives to Master and Slave, first.

Have not updated the drivers ever. Just what came on the CD with the MB. I have read storied on here about people having bigger problems after updateing the MB drivers. Kinda if it is not broke why fix it. Maybe in this case it is broke?



Now something I have figures out. If I power down and disconnect & reconnect the IDE cable from the MB. The drives show up when I restart. I was able to transfer most of my pictures to one of the new HD's before it disappeared with 2 min left of data still to transfer.

What is this pointing to?

Also if I go back to the original configuration before these problems started happening. My IDE drives still disappear after 10-15 min.

Note the external HD (fire wire) always shows up.

Thanks for your help!
 
First, I'd set those drive's jumpers to master and slave. Then I'd DL the newest drivers. Then I'd I'd run memtest overnight. If no error, I'd try new cables.
 
First, I'd set those drive's jumpers to master and slave. Then I'd DL the newest drivers. Then I'd I'd run memtest overnight. If no error, I'd try new cables.

I set jumpers to master & slave. Up and running all drives showing for 30 min's now. Hope this is the solution.

When you say update drivers you are referring to the MB correct? Not sure why, just do not really want to do this. First time for everything I guess.

"memtest" I am not familiar with. What is this? Is it done with system utilities?

Thanks for all the help, I have my fingers crossed!
 
Yes, I mean the MB's chipset drivers. Since you have the old drivers on CD, you can always revert back to them if you like. Use Driver Cleaner Pro to completely get rid of the old nForce drivers.

Memtest is a standalone program run in its own environment. You'd Google for "memtest86+" and click on the first hit, download the ISO, burn it to a CD, then reboot and let it run overnight. If you get any errors, your RAM is bad. If you get no errors, try new cables.
 
Once again thanks for all the help. Everything has been fine since the cable select settings have been changed to Master & Slave. :)
 
Back
Top