HDR Bugs Are Ruining The Movie Experience On Xbox One S

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
There are two issues with HDR on the new Xbox that exist but haven’t been patched yet. First, Netflix is engaging HDR mode for all movies (even non-HDR content), which is leading to messed up colors, and second, there is light bleed during 4K Blu-ray playback because the BD app is not properly engaging HDR for HDR content.

Like the Netflix bug, this new Blu-Ray bug isn’t a deal breaker, but is definitely irritating and unattractive. It’s also nearly ruinous if you’re the kind of person who has dropped thousands of dollars on a UHD TV and Xbox Ones S and would like it all to play back exactly right. Fortunately, both bugs can be resolved with a software update from Microsoft. Yet, with the Netflix bug having been around since launch in early August, it’s anyone’s guess when the bugs will be resolved.

Maybe instead of bragging about how their console will be so much better than PS4 Pro they should focus on their current console? :p

So is it just a switch that you have to turn off manually for each movie, or you can't even turn it off when it's incorrectly enabled? Or on in the other case?
If it's just a question of having to switch it manually I don't think that is a big issue. You had to enable 3d manually on your tv when you watched 3d movies. So this is nothing new then. If it can't be manually remedied then this really sucks, and it's really a deal breaker.

Netflix will update, Microsoft will patch the Blu Ray app. Considering you are getting the most economical UHD player available, I think everyone can survive this. Oh, the horror... My black bars are a little too bright.

Netflix will update, Microsoft will patch the Blu Ray app. Considering you are getting the most economical UHD player available, I think everyone can survive this. Oh, the horror... My black bars are a little too bright.
99% of people probably wont notice anyways and keep everything on the eye-ball melting levels of default for their tvs anyways.

I noticed this when I went to play back a movie on my 4k samsung 40inch. Was just messing around and was like what the heck this looks like crap. I just want them to enable bit stream for movies .

So is the "light bleed" actually mismatched video levels (Full 0-255/Limited 16-255)? The image came from AVS Forum, whose members are usually smart enough to tell the difference.

"I know what guys. Lets cut all testing and debugging from our R&D departments. That'll save us millions!"

Said every VP everywhere...

99% of people probably wont notice anyways and keep everything on the eye-ball melting levels of default for their tvs anyways.

You are so correct. My brothers expensive TV is on 'Vivid'. I offered to calibrate it, but he likes it 'bright'. He's not alone.

Wait, someone plays movies through an xbox? What is this, 1998?

And how else do you plan on watching 4K videos? Just like how the PS3 was the best priced Blu-Ray player on the market when released, The Xbox is currently the best priced 4k player on the market. So yes, people are going to watch movies through an xbox as there is no other way besides buying a xbox AND a UHD player or you know saving the money and only having a single device that you have already purchased.

And how else do you plan on watching 4K videos? Just like how the PS3 was the best priced Blu-Ray player on the market when released, The Xbox is currently the best priced 4k player on the market. So yes, people are going to watch movies through an xbox as there is no other way besides buying a xbox AND a UHD player or you know saving the money and only having a single device that you have already purchased.

The xbox was always a gimped solution and it still is. A proper player is a proper player.

The xbox was always a gimped solution and it still is. A proper player is a proper player.

When it comes to streaming you are limited to whatever the quality of the player is. Personally I have never experienced any issues streaming Netflix or Vudu to a Xbox console, other than the fact that before the S there was no 4K support. So I have relied on my TV's build in Netflix app for 4K and been limited to only that as Vudu doesn't want to support Sony's tvs for 4K playback. That requires a Roku for that. For HD streaming, between my pc, xbox 360, xbox one, tv, and Roku 3. I have not noticed any difference in quality. So there is no problem with streaming in general. For a disc player. I have never had an issue using my Xbox One as my Blu-ray player. I had a stand alone one at first but after getting the One I had no need for it as it plays movies just fine. Saved me from having to go out and buy a new 3d blu-player since my original one didn't play 3d.

Quite frankly it's 2016. The only venues to get an UHD Blu-ray player is from Samsung for $300 that just plays UHD Blu-rays, or a Xbox One S for $300 that plays Xbox One games and UHD Blu-ray discs. Not sure if there was sarcasm intended but your comment makes no sense at all.

Quite frankly it's 2016. The only venues to get an UHD Blu-ray player is from Samsung for $300 that just plays UHD Blu-rays, or a Xbox One S for $300 that plays Xbox One games and UHD Blu-ray discs. Not sure if there was sarcasm intended but your comment makes no sense at all.

I remember when a friend of a friend was using the xbox for a cheap player. It looked pitiful. The device was clumsy to use, ugly and just screams 'I can't afford a proper player'. But whatever...

I remember when a friend of a friend was using the xbox for a cheap player. It looked pitiful. The device was clumsy to use, ugly and just screams 'I can't afford a proper player'. But whatever...

I mean we can just ignore everything out there and just throw nonsense around. Blu-Ray players were garbage for a very long time and a PS3 ended up being a much better investment. It's not that fucking hard to play a Blu-Ray, so I don't know what you're talking about with garbage quality. This isn't late 2001/2002, the actual release date of the Xbox, anymore.

I mean we can just ignore everything out there and just throw nonsense around. Blu-Ray players were garbage for a very long time and a PS3 ended up being a much better investment. It's not that fucking hard to play a Blu-Ray, so I don't know what you're talking about with garbage quality. This isn't late 2001/2002, the actual release date of the Xbox, anymore.

If you ever played a blu-ray in a proper player and then used an xbox for the job, you would know lol.

If you ever played a blu-ray in a proper player and then used an xbox for the job, you would know lol.

So instead of spouting nonsense why don't you give an example of a "proper blu-ray player".

I've seen PC snobism
I've even saw IPS snobism.
But blu-ray player snobism is a new to me.

I know that deep down it's only yourself that you're trying to convince that buying an expensive stand alone player was the "right" thing to do.

I've seen PC snobism
I've even saw IPS snobism.
But blu-ray player snobism is a new to me.

I know that deep down it's only yourself that you're trying to convince that buying an expensive stand alone player was the "right" thing to do.

It's all about preferences. Someone prefers to drive a Yugo and is satisfied with it, I expect a Mercedes. Both move you from place A to B - the difference is quality and comfort.

Back