HDR+AA in Oblivion for Ati X1K!

Apple740

Gawd
Dave Baumann wrote on Beyond3D:

This just through from Makedon:

Guys I have something exciting coming very shortly today…. Feel free to write about it if you wish….

Game: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Situation: Game supports AA. Game supports HDR. Game don’t support both.

Introducing: later today…. The “Chuck” patch… supporting HDR AND AA…

Last week I got an email from a 3d Developer of ours (by the name of Chuck) saying if I was interested in checking out a proof of concept driver he whipped up that enables HDR plus AA at the same time. Well ya!!!

So fast forward to now, thanks to Chuck Ati users can enjoy this game at a brand new level of Image Quality. It will knock your socks off.

Plus the Chuck Patch also supports AFR Crossfire mode giving gains up to 80%. I urge you to benchmark this yourself but here is what Chuck measured.

Wonder what the performance is gonna be like with both enabled :eek:

Not terrible.

It's a shame that Oblivion likes to 'cut' my X1900 off, resulting in nearly constant VPU recovers. It's also a shame that Bethesda tech support and ATi tech support simply don't care.

Chuck Norris write codes now? or code write themselve if fear of chuck norris?

Chris_B said:
Wonder what the performance is gonna be like with both enabled :eek:

In Farcry and 3DM06 i measured a hit of ~20/25% (4xAA on top of HDR) with a single card.

Apple740 said:
In Farcry and 3DM06 i measured a hit of ~20/25% (4xAA on top of HDR) with a single card.
I'd be happy with 2xAA and HDR... Just enough to soften the jaggies without going overboard.

I've got two X1800 XTs I reviewed a few months ago, so I'm hoping for playable frame rates at 1680x1050 with 4x AA and HDR on my 2405 display. If they drop this driver tonight I'll find out after work. I've also got a X1900 XTX so I might give that a whirl too to see how single-card performance fares.

John Reynolds said:
I've got two X1800 XTs I reviewed a few months ago, so I'm hoping for playable frame rates at 1680x1050 with 4x AA and HDR on my 2405 display. If they drop this driver tonight I'll find out after work. I've also got a X1900 XTX so I might give that a whirl too to see how single-card performance fares.

Link to your review?

IF true, I can try later tonight if they release it to the public. Ive got X1900XT Crossfire. Ive only gone one gig of ram though, because newegg it taking forever to RMA my other stick back. :(

Ok, hate to say this as a 7900gt owner, but ATI now officially stomps Nvidia in the latest and greatest game.

If they get better framerate with foliage while maintaining AA on at the same time, that's going to add insult to injury.

Adrian

John Reynolds said:

Just watch out for rez and SAA issues. From the driver download page:

1. SuperAA with CrossFire in HDR mode is not enabled. If you have SupperAA enabled you will get the quality and performance of one card as opposed to two.

2. Rendering issues with grass shadows

3. On an ATI Radeon X1600XT CrossFire configuration, the game may intermittently crash if they set resolution is higher than 1600x1200

4. On an ATI Radeon X1900 series card, the game may crash while task-switching between the desktop and game (alt-tab).

It does kinda suck Nvida hardware cant do AA and HDR in most games. It really doesnt bug me all that much, just up your resolution real high and play with HDR on, I dont really have issues with that. IM not gonna sell my card for 1 game and 1 small bug that cant be squashed. Thumbs up to ATI for making this possible, and IM sure nvidia will make up for this with the G80, for the time being I can live without AA and HDR. who knows it may even be possible for Nvidia to do AA and HDR together too, just like it can in HL2. I think it all depends on how the game was coded. I guess we will have to sit back and wait for a final answer but for now IM just happy playing oblivion.

I can't wait for the hi res screenshots.
Come on x1900 series owners, get them high res screenshots rolling :p

phide said:
Not terrible.

It's a shame that Oblivion likes to 'cut' my X1900 off, resulting in nearly constant VPU recovers. It's also a shame that Bethesda tech support and ATi tech support simply don't care.

because it is your problem not theirs. if a zillion other people can run with x1900's and you can't you shouldn't blame them. how it could be bethesda's or ati's fault when they know the x1900 video cards are compatible with Oblivion makes no sense.

I wouldn't care either.

desrin said:
because it is your problem not theirs. if a zillion other people can run with x1900's and you can't you shouldn't blame them. how it could be bethesda's or ati's fault when they know the x1900 video cards are compatible with Oblivion makes no sense.

I wouldn't care either.

Because ATI gave him a shitty card. QC isnt perfect. How can you blame him, when it could very well be the card itself. I would not look to bethesda for help, but ATI should let him RMA....

1680x1050, 4x AA, 8x HQ AF, HDR, average frame rate of 27 fps on a FX-60 and X1900 XTX. Ran around the waterfront area outside the Imperial city in daylight, by the docks and then outside the buildings facing the water and the hills across the Rumare Lake. Very little grass, though some trees, buildings, boulders, and NPCs walking around. Also, the Oblivion.ini has been modified to use ugridstoload=9 and the water to reflect all options. This was just a quick test after getting home before dinner. If time permits I might play around some more and reinstall the X1800 Crossfire setup.

How's it look? With some of the texture mods installed and the additional grids loaded, pretty damn amazing. And, yes, AA is indeed being applied via the CCC.

Ya know, just when I almost get done with all my game evaluations for this review i'm working on they up and bring a new driver out with new support :p

Brent_Justice said:
Ya know, just when I almost get done with all my game evaluations for this review i'm working on they up and bring a new driver out with new support :p

I get the same thing with motherboard BIOS releases. :eek:

I would like to see an X-Fire X1900 vs SLI 7900gtx comparison now that oblivion is working with X-fire

John Reynolds said:
1680x1050, 4x AA, 8x HQ AF, HDR, average frame rate of 27 fps on a FX-60 and X1900 XTX. Ran around the waterfront area outside the Imperial city in daylight, by the docks and then outside the buildings facing the water and the hills across the Rumare Lake. Very little grass, though some trees, buildings, boulders, and NPCs walking around. Also, the Oblivion.ini has been modified to use ugridstoload=9 and the water to reflect all options. This was just a quick test after getting home before dinner. If time permits I might play around some more and reinstall the X1800 Crossfire setup.

How's it look? With some of the texture mods installed and the additional grids loaded, pretty damn amazing. And, yes, AA is indeed being applied via the CCC.

hey john how do u get obliv to ru nthat rez? I cant get it to on my 2405

Am I doing something wrong? I set the HDR on in the game options and AA off, and in the control panel AAx6 AFx16 and I still see jaggies.

WTF

Eärendil said:
I can only get it to run at 1024!

I have the same problem. I'm seeing 1600x1200 screenies at Rage3D so it should work but i can't set my res above 1024x768 anymore after the hotfix install.

Digital Viper-X- said:
hey john how do u get obliv to ru nthat rez? I cant get it to on my 2405

The 1680x1050 score was with a single X1900 XTX. I can't get that rez in Crossfire mode either.

I had to reboot to force AA via the CCC once I reinstalled Crossfire.

solideliquid said:
Am I doing something wrong? I set the HDR on in the game options and AA off, and in the control panel AAx6 AFx16 and I still see jaggies.

WTF
The X1X00 card only support HDR with AA up to 4X. 6X AA with HDR on will show no AA at all. Set AA to 4X or 2X in CCC.

Back