HDMI vs DVI

lordsegan

Gawd
Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
624
I recently received a new AMD video card with two outputs, HDMIand DVI.

Most of my experience with PC monitors is either DVI or Displayport.

I know that DVI, Displayport, and HDMI are all "compatible" but will I see any loss of quality inputting from the HDMI port into my Dell 24" Ultrasharp instead of using the DVI (as I was previously doing) ?

I feel like it is *slightly* less sharp/saturated, but that might just be my imagination.
 
they are all digital so no you won't lose quality....HDMI can also do audio.
 
They are exactly same. They carry the same digital signal so quality will be the same. Biggest difference is that HDMI can also carry audio which DVI and Displayport do not, and there may be some bandwidth differences determining what is the biggest resolution and refresh rate they can carry at max.
 
Just a note, if you're using HDMI, make sure the overscan settings in your video card settings are correct. Otherwise you won't have as sharp of an image as you should.
 
Actually from my experience here at home, HDMI has consistently had a better/sharper image quality then DVI. I was also under the impression that they both carried the same digital signal & both should be equal, but after testing at my house on multiple monitors with multiple people providing opinion, HDMI consistently looks better then DVI.
 
Actually from my experience here at home, HDMI has consistently had a better/sharper image quality then DVI. I was also under the impression that they both carried the same digital signal & both should be equal, but after testing at my house on multiple monitors with multiple people providing opinion, HDMI consistently looks better then DVI.
Something else is at play there, with the correct settings/software/patches PQ should be equal.

Similar to what Tarball mentioned earlier, HDMI-to-HDMI can sometimes cause initial install problems on certain displays, you won't usually get that with DVI.

Pick your poison because each will cause their own occasional headache.
 
Back
Top