HDMI vs DVI vs ?

jstanthr

Limp Gawd
ive noticed more and more monitors coming out without dvi ports, the new asus has vga and hdmi, i thought dvi was much better than vga. is hdmi better than dvi? is there any degredation when using the hdmi adaptor on a dvi output of a video card? im using dual gtx 280's if that means anything, currently im using 2 scepter 22" 2ms screens, looking to upgrade to either 2x27's or 2x30's by end of summer. what are your alls suggestions on what type of input to use? and why?

DVI and HDMI is the same thing. Just that DVI-I har the ability to send analogue signals as well ("VGA"), which HDMI don't. HDMI on the other hand can send audio instead. (well, graphic cards can often send audio out of a DVI-port as well, but it's mainly when used with a HDMI-adapter that you can actually make any use of the audio-signal).

So there is no degradation when using the HDMI-adaptor on an DVI-output.

While VGA is analogue it's still very good and in the very most circumstances you can't see the difference between VGA and DVI, today though many monitor-manufacturers skimp on the VGA input which may lead to a fuzzy image.

But unless you are out of DVI/HDMI ports theres no need to go with VGA, but if you have to chances are you won't see a difference anyway.

At 1920x1200 resolution the fuzzyness of VGA versus the crispness of hdmi/dvi is very apparent to me, and I suspect to just about everyone.
HDMI connector has a lower cost license/patent fee versus the DVI connector so that is why there is a switch to HDMI. DVI fee was $1. I'm guessing HDMI connector license fee is a few pennies.

HDMI connector has a lower cost license/patent fee versus the DVI connector so that is why there is a switch to HDMI. DVI fee was $1. I'm guessing HDMI connector license fee is a few pennies.
That makes sense, and would explain the shift to hdmi... $$$

But as mentioned earlier, at least DVI and HDMI are electrically compatible, and a simple cheap adapter would work. ATI even has some dvi-hdmi adapters than can carry audio over with certain hardware.

At 1920x1200 resolution the fuzzyness of VGA versus the crispness of hdmi/dvi is very apparent to me, and I suspect to just about everyone.

I think it depends on the monitor. A couple of monitors I've used the difference between VGA and DVI is totally negligible, you could be using VGA for a week and not know until you looked at the cable. However I've had one monitor which was noticably worse on VGA than DVI.

Here we go...

Consumer Electronics Video Connector Timeline:

RCA -> S-Video -> Component -> HDMI

Personal Computer Video Connector Timeline:

VGA -> DVI -> DisplayPort

Hope that clears some things up.

Back