• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

hdmi vs DP->hdmi?

EzeroMobile50K

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 2, 2012
Messages
262
Atm I'm running an HDMI from my 6950 to my HF255 monitor (which sports only a VGA and 2 HDMI ports)

I was attempting to also run my TV out of the card with a DVI->HDMI dongle, and HDMI cable to the TV (as the TV also sports only a VGA and 4 HDMI ports) Samsung something-er-other... But kept getting the "Can't save display settings" when trying to set it to extend these displays, or duplicate displays (in windows 7 resolution menu), and had no real options available regarding grouping and stuff or other advanced multi monitor display options in CCC.

I can only conclude that this is because I'm running an HDMI port out of the card. Seems odd to me.. But I guess I need to only be using DVI and DP?

So then that brings me to my question. Should I buy a Displayport to HDMI cable for my monitor? And another for the TV? Or would I need a DVI to HDMI cable? Can I use multiple Displayports? or only one? Is it preferable to use the DVI for any reason? (I'll likely be buying my cables from monoprice.com though unfortunately their cables are white.)

And lastly, when I eventually do decide to run triple monitor extended display, likely 3x 1920x1200 in landscape array, what's the ideal cabling method? 2 dvi's for the wings, and DP for the center? Or vice versa? @.@ why must all this be so complicated.. Are nvidia/amd to blame!?

edit: for the future 3 monitor setup, I'll likely either be using the 7970, or the true gtx 685 or w/e it'll be called.
 
Or do I need one of those active displayport adapter majiggers? I'm so confuzzled about all this displayport mumbo jumbo! Witchcraft I say!
 
Have you tried the other DVI port, one of the DVI port doesn't extend to anything else than the other DVI, but the other can extend to the HDMI and DP ports, for my 6950 it's like that at least.
 
Have you tried the other DVI port, one of the DVI port doesn't extend to anything else than the other DVI, but the other can extend to the HDMI and DP ports, for my 6950 it's like that at least.

Hoora! you win, however my question still stands. Should I pickup some mini displayport->hdmi cables? can I run 2 cables out of the 2 mini displayports on the 6950 at the same time?

And should I do it with just the above mentioned cables, or are there some advantages to using the active displayport adapter thingers I kept hearing about?
 
Why do you want to use a DP adapter if you got your setup to work already? There aren't any advantage/disadvantage for you, only reason to use DP is if you need it for your monitor and you don't. All those signals are digital so there's no difference in quality.
 
Back
Top