HDMI Video Quality

Odigo

Gawd
I just hooked my Radeon 5850 to my Sony TV via HDMI. I must say the DVD playback quality sucks. I have it running at 1080p res. Any suggestions? I'm using Windows Media Player :rolleyes:

How many DVDs have you tried? Some of them just plain sucks when upscaling them to 1080p. Also are you using any third party codecs? Some of them or their settings might be interfering with your video output.

No third party codecs. I tried three DVD's so far, all of which looked fine on my PS3 but compared to PC it was horrid.

I very much doubt if it's video card brand related though. I have both AMD and nVidia as well as the integrated Core i3 graphics on several computers and they all play movies from Blu-ray and DVDs just fine.

It's been a long time since I've looked in AMD Control Center but is there anything about interlacing in there? Try disabling that or set it to de-interlace. As far as I know, DirectX video acceleration is not supported when upscaling, so see if you can disable DXVA as well.

Currently set to auto-deinterlace, I messed around with the settings no go.

Last edited:
Don't play DVDs? You can't expect a DVD to look good at 1080p.

I'm sure nearly 100% of media center users are watching DVDs off of their televisions, so that's a pretty ignorant thing to say IMO. DVDs aren't all that bad at 1080p (I'm not comparing it to Blu-ray which is phenomenal, by the way. I'm just saying it's not that bad).

OP - try another player such as Media Player Classic: Home Cinema. It plays with its own built-in codec. This might help determine if your native codecs are in bad shape or something. Or perhaps try the trial version of ArcSoft Total Media Theater - with or without SimHD. Some people like it, some do not. I find that some movies are ok with it and others are very pixelated.

I'm sure nearly 100% of media center users are watching DVDs off of their televisions, so that's a pretty ignorant thing to say IMO. DVDs aren't all that bad at 1080p (I'm not comparing it to Blu-ray which is phenomenal, by the way. I'm just saying it's not that bad).

OP - try another player such as Media Player Classic: Home Cinema. It plays with its own built-in codec. This might help determine if your native codecs are in bad shape or something. Or perhaps try the trial version of ArcSoft Total Media Theater - with or without SimHD. Some people like it, some do not. I find that some movies are ok with it and others are very pixelated.

Yes, I came in here to suggest the same. Media Player Classic: HC. If it doesn't play right, then you may have to play with some other settings.

'Quality sucks' is subjective and doesn't really state that there's an actual problem. Changing decoders most likely isn't going to do anything because there's probably nothing wrong, especially when hes already using the one that comes with Windows 7. How about a screenshot?

I'll try Media Player Classic: Home Cinema later. If no improvement I will also upload a screen-shot. I'm comparing the quality to my PS3, XBOX360. It has a grainy look to it that's all.

Media Player Classic: Home Cinema did the trick. Looks awesome now! Thanks everyoone

Do you have 1:1 pixel mapping? ATI cards expand to video levels so the picture will be overly bright and not pass blacker than black video levels. There's a reg key to fix it.

Back