• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HDMI to VGA Converter?

Joined
Dec 31, 2014
Messages
12
Greetings,

Is there such a thing as an HDMI to VGA converter? I know someone who bought a cable but it didn't work (hence maybe a converter?).

I'd like to plug my Wii U into my HP P1230 CRT monitor. The Wii U supports HDMI, composite, s-video, and component cables.

Preferably I'd like to use HDMI for 1080p.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
All HDMI to VGA cables are "converters." The HDMI spec cannot pass a VGA signal though it (unlike DVI). It has to be converted by a powered chip. Sometimes they just hide the chip inside the cable.

Usually when the cheaper HDMI converter fails, it's because the port is under powered. The HDMI port has to provide enough power for the converter chip to run, and they are typically under powered on laptops.

The best solution to this problem is to get a powered converter like this one:

http://www.startech.com/AV/Converte...C-Laptop-Ultrabook-1920x1200~HD2VGAA2#tchspcs

You will still have to provide your own USB cable to power this converter with. Plug theHDMI and USB into the Wii U, and it should work.
 
Last edited:
I believe HDFury is your best bet, though I'm not familiar with their hardware.

They look to have good information and support though. You can contact them with details about your setup and what kind of bandwidth you need and they'll be able to recommend a model. Look through their forum too.
 
The best solution to this problem is to get a powered converter like this one:

http://www.startech.com/AV/Converte...C-Laptop-Ultrabook-1920x1200~HD2VGAA2#tchspcs

You will still have to provide your own USB cable to power this converter with. Plug theHDMI and USB into the Wii U, and it should work.

Thanks for the explanation and recommendation defaultluser. I'll look into this further.

I believe HDFury is your best bet, though I'm not familiar with their hardware.

Thanks spacediver. :) Their devices are pretty pricey though. If this is what it takes to do the trick I will probably pass then.
 
You shouldn't need something as extravagant as the HdFury because the Wii U doesn't use HDCP for games.

The fury is aimed at hardcore CRT users, streaming publishers, and pirates.
 
You shouldn't need something as extravagant as the HdFury because the Wii U doesn't use HDCP for games.

The fury is aimed at hardcore CRT users, streaming publishers, and pirates.

Ah, good to know. Thanks!

As long as I can get 1080p and the converter doesn't cause any input lag, I'm golden.

I did just realize audio will be an issue though. Some research shows that I can set the audio to go through the AV Multi Out port instead of the HDMI Out port.

I'd like to use six-channel linear PCM audio if possible, but if I have to give this up and use the AV Multi Out port to get the CRT setup I'm fine with that.
 
1920x1080 at 60Hz should be possible on most active HDMI -> VGA adapters. Forget about higher resolutions or refresh rates.
 
1920x1080 at 60Hz should be possible on most active HDMI -> VGA adapters. Forget about higher resolutions or refresh rates.

Well yeah, we're talking about a console here. You can't adjust it's refresh rate above 60Hz.

It's a good point anyhow. EagerLearner, you do know that converting HDMI to VGA at such a low refresh rate will cause noticeable flicker on a CRT monitor? Unless you use a higher persistence TV set, you will likely notice the flicker.

Or are you one of those lucky people who can't see CRT flicker?
 
any HDMI -> VGA converter will be enough for 1080p and this CRT
Input lag is not added in this kind of hardware.
If you want 5.1 audio then you need audio decoder with HDMI pass-through functionality and support for LPCM.

later HDFury models (definitely not first) can move image horizontally which is needed for some projectors to display 1080p without cutting one side. On CRT without such functionality there will be slight geometry imperfection on left side of screen. Nothing major. I mentione about it so you know what you get spending like 10-20 times more :)

I have clone of HDFury 1 (HDFireFury identical hardware and software) and some other generic HDMI to VGA converter with audio. I use latter with my Playstation and it is fine. Both have additional power connectors but HDFireFury usually needs it to work and this other converter so far always worked without using additional power.

it is this model
gembird_hdmi-vga-001_2.jpg


Image quality is very good on those converters
audio-out canot drive headphones (very bad sound quality in headphones) but when used with external amplifier it is surprisingly good :)
 
Well yeah, we're talking about a console here. You can't adjust it's refresh rate above 60Hz.

It's a good point anyhow. EagerLearner, you do know that converting HDMI to VGA at such a low refresh rate will cause noticeable flicker on a CRT monitor? Unless you use a higher persistence TV set, you will likely notice the flicker.

Or are you one of those lucky people who can't see CRT flicker?
60Hz is perfectly usable on Trinitrons as long as we are talking gaming and not using desktop applications.

and 60Hz flicker with 60fps => perfect motion clarity
 
Well yeah, we're talking about a console here. You can't adjust it's refresh rate above 60Hz.

It's a good point anyhow. EagerLearner, you do know that converting HDMI to VGA at such a low refresh rate will cause noticeable flicker on a CRT monitor? Unless you use a higher persistence TV set, you will likely notice the flicker.

Or are you one of those lucky people who can't see CRT flicker?

In games, 60Hz is OK. It flickers, but it isn't a big deal.
 
Back
Top