HDMI to HDMI issues

SolidBladez

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys,

I got my 10' cable from Newegg today only to find out that the screen looks like crap using an HDMI (male to male) cable.

Now my monitor and laptop only support HDMI or VGA. I use to have a HDMI -> DVI cable that was hooked up to this monitor a few weeks ago with my old Dell E1705 but I traded it so now I'm left with my HP laptop that supports only HDMI / VGA. The monitor looked fine when it was hooked up with my older laptop (DVI->HDMI).

The picture is just horrible, it's kinda fuzzy, blurry, and very grainy. The colors a very saturated and nothing looks like the quality that it use to.

I thought that it might be a Nvidia driver issue, so I reverted to some older drivers (169.09 and 169.28 in particular) and it still shows the same horrible picture.

Did I get a lemon HDMI cable?

Could be a bad cable, could also be something wrong with the output on the laptop. Another thing is the refresh rate/resolution might be set wrong on the laptop, make sure to check that out and not set it too high or too low.

Know anyone else with an HDMI compatible TV you could try it out on? Or know anyone with an HDMI cable you could try?

I don't think it's the cable. I have a dv9000 HP laptop and I am having a similar problem. It doesn't seem over saturated or anything but it is fuzzy and just doesn't look great (text looks especially bad); the sides of the picture are cut off by 10 pixels or so all around the screen. I tried putting the screen to 1:1 but it just shrinks the smaller picture.

I also tried different drivers but no go... maybe it's an issue with HP laptops? I'll try to look into my own case more...

Yikes, I hope it's not a HP issue (or GPU).

@Grentz, it's set at 60hz refresh rate and all the color settings are on by default. Though I have tinkered a bit and still looks like crap.

It kind of looks like the picture is running in the wrong color mode (32-bit/16-bit/8-bit). Though mine is clearly set to 32-bit.

Unfortunately, I do not have another TV/monitor that is HDMI compatible. :(

I'm gonna go see if VGA makes any difference, that's the only similar connections between my lappy and monitor. :(

Lol. I used my CRT VGA cable to connect my 24" LCD monitor and laptop......

And the picture turned out fine ...well better than the HDMI cable that is.

So I'm guessing I have a faulty cable.

vga works fine on mine too (but i usually keep that port connected to my desktop) I wonder if it is just our monitors (well, mine is a tv Olevia 32") that is not handling it appropriately, or if there's a GPU setting hidden somewhere that is changing the picture...

Little update.

Got my replacement cord today and guess what.. the same grainy picture.

I think it has to do with the HDMI signal. So this is what I'm going to do:

1. Buy a HDMI to DVI adapter
2. Plug it into my laptop HDMI port
3. Buy a HDMI to DVI cable.
4. Plug the HDMI connection into my monitor and the DVI connection into my laptop (with the already existing HDMI -> DVI adapter).

My monitor worked perfectly when I had a HDMI to DVI cable. But when I found out that my HP notebook only had a HDMI port, I took back that cable and got me just an HDMI cable.

So it has to be something with the cable signal.

I realize this thread is several months old, but I just happened to be Googling about this and it came up on HardForum. Can anybody confirm there's an issue with the DV9000's HDMI out?

Can anybody confirm there's an issue with the DV9000's HDMI out?

If it is (I never was able to officially confirm it) try talking to an HP representative. If you bug or nag really hard, you can either get a new laptop (could have the same issue) or some better. :)

That's granite its still under warranty. I think it's easier doing this type of scenario with Dell but I have heard a few people getting an out-of-warranty notebook replaced at HP.

Nope, the warranty ran out for me just a short while ago. I would have raised a stink if I had realized the problem before. It showed up a little blurry on my HDTV, but I didn't think it had to do with my laptop.

And I doubt they'll replace my laptop. They wouldn't replace my faulty battery just a week out of warranty! :(

Thanks for the response, though.

Back