• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HDMI to DVI + Optical ?

wcp6

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 3, 2009
Messages
78
I have a laptop with HDMI output but no optical toslink out. I am using a Dell Ultrasharp that has only DVI or VGA input. Would there be any way to split the video/audio HDMI to a DVI and then optical to go out to my receiver?

If I was using a TV I could always just use the optical out from that, but my dell has no such thing..

The only thing I could find was a 4 port hdmi switcher on monoprice that also outputs TOSLINK but at $50 it's more than I'd like to spend when I don't need the switching functionality.. anyone with a similar situation that could offer advice on the subject?
 
this generally isn't possible due to licencing

simply, the technology is sound (Assuming the source is outputting something that TOS has enough bandwidth for, or the conversion device can actually dither), but no devices exist to accomplish what you want to do, how you imagined it

either grab a display that has the proper I/O for what you want, or just get an inexpensive device for your laptop to give you the S/PDIF output (you can get some USB to S/PDIF devices for like $8)
 
Splitting off an optical signal is a PITA. Avoid using audio over HDMI if possible.

Going from HDMI to DVI is simple, for the video part at least. The signal is the same so all you need is a cheapo passive adapter. Of course there's still a gotcha...the signal voltages aren't the same, so some displays will have trouble with some sources. But that even happens HDMI to HDMI...the HDMI spec is a clusterfuck. For relatively short HDMI cables you should be okay, and that should be fine for hooking up a laptop.
 
They don't allow the HDMI audio signal to be converted to other formats like S/PDIF because then all you evil pirates might copy it.

No, seriously, they are concerned about copying and are under the false impression that HDCP hasn't been thoroughly busted and thus don't allow for converting HDMI.
 
They don't allow the HDMI audio signal to be converted to other formats like S/PDIF because then all you evil pirates might copy it.

No, seriously, they are concerned about copying and are under the false impression that HDCP hasn't been thoroughly busted and thus don't allow for converting HDMI.

"They" being the studios and such which make device companies have to follow the HDCP and other encryption routines to be in compliance with their rules.
 
They don't allow the HDMI audio signal to be converted to other formats like S/PDIF because then all you evil pirates might copy it.

No, seriously, they are concerned about copying and are under the false impression that HDCP hasn't been thoroughly busted and thus don't allow for converting HDMI.

What happens to the audio signal coming into and out of my TV?
I have all of my Sources using HDMI, Xbox 360, HTPC, Cable Box, going into a Monoprice HDMI switcher and then to my Panasonic Plasma.
I then have an Optical cable from my TV to my Pioneer Receiver for the audio.
 
What happens to the audio signal coming into and out of my TV?
I have all of my Sources using HDMI, Xbox 360, HTPC, Cable Box, going into a Monoprice HDMI switcher and then to my Panasonic Plasma.
I then have an Optical cable from my TV to my Pioneer Receiver for the audio.

half, if not all, of that isn't HDCP'd (the Xbox games aren't, guessing most of your HTPC stuff isn't, cable box isn't (or at least doesn't have strict DRM enforcement for HD content))

HDMI doesn't mean HDCP

and your TV is probably HDCP anyways, which means as far as the source is concerned its legit

but above any and all of this, refer to ashmedai's statement:
the HDMI spec is a clusterfuck.
 
I do play HD-DVD's in my Xbox as well as BD in my HTPC and those are HDCP protected and my sound still comes out fine from the TV to the Receiver.
 
I do play HD-DVD's in my Xbox as well as BD in my HTPC and those are HDCP protected and my sound still comes out fine from the TV to the Receiver.

iirc HDCP wasn't/isn't enforced for PC systems (I remember reading something to the effect of this whilst buying my HD-DVD player), I know that with Corel WinDVD9 BR you can basically do whatever you like with the audio/video, and I have no idea if thats "standards compliant" or not (I can play Blu-ray's or HD-DVD's out via 7.1 analog + component video with no issues, like there is no "protection" there)

HD-DVD as a standard is sorta in a weird limbo right now, it has a mountain of DRM that it could use, but it seems like Toshiba/Microsoft/etc basically said screwit, I know that with the latest firmware for my HD-DVD player it doesn't restrict HD output to the HDMI port, among other things

basically, refer to what ashmedai said, and consider that the TV is HDCP compliant, so it technically "fulfills" the chain, this is different than actually having a discrete device that breaks an HDCP HDMI signal into unprotected S/PDIF and DVI-D or analog
 
Cool, I was just slightly concerned as I am getting a Panasonic BDP60 BD Player for xmas which will be plugged straight into the Monoprice HDMI switcher.
 
Cool, I was just slightly concerned as I am getting a Panasonic BDP60 BD Player for xmas which will be plugged straight into the Monoprice HDMI switcher.

should work
but you'll probably need to set it to transcode the audio via HDMI so that your receiver can deal with it
 
ah, hadn't considered all the patents and licensing currently on HDMI. That explains a whole lot about the situation. I may end up just getting an HDTV for gaming monitor then that has an spdif output

thanks for all of the replies
 
should work
but you'll probably need to set it to transcode the audio via HDMI so that your receiver can deal with it

Player does not sync when going through the switcher. Not sure why but I had to go straight to the TV with it. It would pop up with a U73 code on the unit and the screen was black.
 
Back
Top