HDMI Source Easily Adapted To DisplayPort Monitor

chrisliv

Weaksauce
Yeah,

I was a little curious, as my Mac Mini has both DP and DVI out. And my NEC monitor has DP and DVI in.

So, with a lot of DVD players and gaming sources being HDMI out, I was wondering if my lack of HDMI ports would ever be a problem if I wanted to connect something else to my monitor.

Apparently not.

Just FYI, I did notice that there are cables/adapters now designed for as much.

Most seem to be for a DisplayPort source to an HDMI monitor, which will not work for my potential purpose.

But, here's an example of one designed for HDMI sources to a DP monitor, like mine:

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=11091

It's a little pricy, at 35 Federal Reserve Bank Notes. But it seems that most sources, other than a computer, that I may wish to connect to my DP monitor, use HDMI out, not DVI out.

So, if I ever wanted to get a Slim PS3 to use as a Blu-Ray player and to play or share the gaming capacity on my DP/DVI NEC monitor, this seems to be a good way.

And, even though I'm not a gamer, at all, the Slim PS3 seems a good value as a Blu-Ray player, since it does more than just play Blue-Ray discs.

I mean, I'm guessing that some here do use the PS3 player as their Blu-Ray player, too.

Peace to you all,
C. Livingstone

I mean, I'm guessing that some here do use the PS3 player as their Blu-Ray player, too.

Peace to you all,
C. Livingstone

I do not even own any games for my PS3. I use it for both Bluerays and DVDs. It is one of the best devices out there for upscaling DVDs. It plays Bluerays at 1080p24 which works nicely with my 120Hz TV. I do not like the shape of it thoe; I would rather have a rectangluar box like the rest of my components.

Thanks for the link; I am sure I will need one of these someplace down the road.

Dave

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback.

That's good to hear.

Peace to you,
C. Livingstone

Well,

You have to pay attention to the source and direction.

Those $10 ones are for a DP source to an HDMI monitor, which is opposite of what I mentioned.

See the Note:

"Note: While DisplayPort connectors are capable of passing an HDMI signal, DisplayPort and HDMI signals are basically different and not compatible with each other. In order for this cable to function properly, you must have a DisplayPort source device capable of producing and passing out an HDMI signal through the DisplayPort jack."

But maybe I've overlooked something.

Peace to you,
C. Livingstone

Back