hdmi run to another room for Pc gaming

brfitzp1337

Limp Gawd
so I had this idea of running an hdmi cable with an hdmi splitter from my pc to my bedroom tv. I figured I'd also pick up an Xbox one controller with the dongle so I can play remotely.

The bedroom is directly next to the computer room and there's already a cutout and wall plate in the wall. I would need maybe 30 feet of hdmi cable to accomplish the run.

Are there any downsides to this idea or potential flaws that I'm not thinking of?

Also, does anyone know how well fallout 4 works with an Xbox one controller on pc?

Thanks

No downsides that I know of. Anything under 50ft should be ok latency and quality wise. Make sure you have a nice shielded cable to avoid any EMI. I would also run a USB extension alongside for convenience or one of those ethernet to USB connections. There's also ethernet to HDMI but not sure how well those work.

Also note, Xbox One wireless only works with Windows 10.

As much as I love using Steam Link, it's no replacement for a wired connection. You can see how the bitrate adjusts to the quality of the stream and there's a bit of delay as well.

The potential flaw is that with a HDMI splitter + 30 feet of cabling I doubt it will be able to push much bandwidth over that cable before it starts to have lots of issues and causes HDCP to cut in/out and/or likely loose the data link entirely.

Xbox one controller works great with all the console ports, including fallout 4. Buy the new xbox one wireless controller adapter for PC. It's $25 and allows you to use the controller on the PC without having to wire it directly. (Requires windows 10 though. Microsoft refuses to release drivers for the wireless adapter for older windows versions.)

So my question why a splitter? Do you not have extra hdmi ports on your videocard?

I didn't want the latency involved with a steam link. Especially since the tv I want to play on is so close. Maybe a powered hdmi splitter would do the trick?

I'm looking through mono price and all hdmi cables longer than 25ft are rated At 5gbps where shorter ones are rated At 10.2gbps. Not sure if that will make a difference at 1080p?

You shouldn't have an issue with anything but that hdmi splitter...I'm currently running a 75 ft hmdi from pc room in the rear of home to den in front. Tv is a Sony 55 inch bravia works great just need to get the stupid xbox wireless controller working. The hdmi cable I'm using was from amazon and is rated for 10.2gb and up to 1440p with builtin signal booster

I guess I could just add the tv as a third monitor if i get mini display port to hdmi adapter. I was going to use the splitter so that the feed to the TV just mirrors my main desktop.

Don't know about Xbox One controller, but fallout certainly has no issues with an Xbox 360 controller (with the PC receiver).

Also, if your video card has a DVI output - you can usually get audio + video over a DVI to HDMI cable (even surround). Not sure about AMD, but for NVidia most cards since the 400 series will do this. Usually a cheaper option than mini-hdmi to hdmi and it's a more secure connection especially if you're using heavy gauge shielded cable.

I'm using a 25ft HDMI cable and VGA connection on AMD X2 270 integrated graphics and have no problems.

I guess I could just add the tv as a third monitor if i get mini display port to hdmi adapter. I was going to use the splitter so that the feed to the TV just mirrors my main desktop.

Go with the splitter, it's annoying having to toggle monitors when you decide to switch displays.

I've done this with a PS3/4 and it works great. I would also do it with my gaming PC, but I'm not sure the best away to work around my ultra-wide monitor.

PS3/4 -> Splitter -> TV1
|
-------> TV2 (50ft HDMI Cable)

As stated if you are going to use a controller, make sure you run a long USB cable as well. Otherwise the distance will add a bit of latency for wireless. You can still use wireless, but I would connect the receiver in the room you are gaming in.

Xbox One controller works 100% fine for Fallout 4. The 360 controller works identically well. You can (in theory) use them both at the same time if you have both dongles. I've done it with 2-player games.

Hey, Ive used a bunch of HDMI over Ethernet extenders at work for things like TV walls where the computer sits 50 plus feet away in like a control center. It should work good for you. It just uses two CAT5e or 6 cables and its cheaper and easier to run than some huge in wall hdmi cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8121

Back