HDMI over IP

ToddW2

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
4,017
Was at the hospital and noticed they had their monitors in the ceiling mount using HDMI / CAT5e converter boxes... but what really wad odd, they were only using 1 CAT5e cable. The convered I have require 2, and theres' has a spot for a 2nd, buit was running fine with only 1.

Anyone aware of how / what they were using that only needed 1 network cable?


Todd
 
That doesn't answer the question ??? Unless I missed it, and the power boost is all it needs for 1vs 2 cables?
 
That's also assuming that it's been packetized into HDbaseT. The higher end proprietary HDMI-Cat5 baluns can extend over a single run also.
 
That's also assuming that it's been packetized into HDbaseT. The higher end proprietary HDMI-Cat5 baluns can extend over a single run also.

Hmm, do you have any you know?

I just found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...id=1426567985&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+cat5+balun

Cat6 HDMI balun supports video resolutions up to 1080p and lossless audio formats including LCPM 7.1/5.1 channel surround sound, DTS Digital and Dolby Digital

$65 vs the $30 set I got.

But, I got Shielded Cat7 so for the cost of 2x cable I could have gotten the $65 one and Shielded Cat6 and saved a tiny bit overall.


Just sharing what I'm learning as I go.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok, I got a couple coming to try out with single cat7 :) vs 2.

If you don't need shielded I'd just run 2xCat5E and a $28-32 adapter that would be cheaper.
 
Those have worked well for me, I've also used Atlona and Gefen stuff but they're top-end A/V gear.

What is this thread doing in the Virtualization forum? :confused:
 
Those have worked well for me, I've also used Atlona and Gefen stuff but they're top-end A/V gear.

What is this thread doing in the Virtualization forum? :confused:

Because I'm using ESXI to run windows VM and passing through a video card with HDMI to run remotely via Cat7 ;) Figured, if I had other questions related this was the best forum.

Looking forward to get this testing :)
 
Back
Top