• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HDMI out for audio only possible ?

far_star

n00b
Joined
Jun 2, 2012
Messages
15
Hello all,

I am trying to use the HDMI out on my nVidia cards for audio to my receiver. I cannot use it for video as run 2560x1440 and my monitor required DVD DL for this resolution.

i both Windows and Ubuntu I have to enable the DVD and the HDMI out to get sound which is a problem as it wants to send video over HDMI basically requiring multi-display. I would say, "fine guys be that way and I'll just clone them", but guess what ? Then I get forced down to 1920x1080 on my high res display as that's the lowest common denominator of the two outputs.

Again I switch back and forth between Ubuntu for business and Windows for pleasure. Don't ask what come's first.;)
 
The only way I've found to do it was to run extended desktop. that way you're not cloning and restricting resolutions. The down side is that occasionally applications might get goofed up and open on the wrong screen, but this is manageable.
 
I've always had trouble especially with AMD for just HDMI audio out. CrazyRob is right about having the audio out through an extended desktop as it does work, and is really the only solution for audio through your GPU.

Does your motherboard have an optical out for audio? You might want to try that and connect a simple optical cable from that to your receiver
 
Extended desktop is what I'm doing right now. It stinks because an app will sometimes open on the phantom display and I have to switch to the HDMI input on my monitor to find it and drag it back to the left.

I have optical out on both systems but it's restricted to 2 channel audio (I have 5.1 setup) unless I want to do real time DTS encoding which is lossy and isn't even an option under Linux.
 
Extended is the only way.

Just learn the hotkeys.

Click the window in your task-bar, press Alt+Space, then "M", then the arrow keys to move the window from your extended monitor to your main.

Or install a third party program that prevents windows from opening on your extended monitor or provides an option to move all windows to your primary monitor.
 
Back
Top