• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Hdmi/optical switch

BroHamBone

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Apr 6, 2013
Messages
2,031
I am trying to make my entertainment electronics a bit more convenient.

Right now, to use surround on each electronic, I have to switch the hdmi cable and optical cable to the device in use.

Is there a switch for hdmi in / optical in to pass sound and tv seperately to the device in use?
Ex.
DirecTV box -> hdmi --> TV for picture / DirecTV Box ---> optical ---> reciever for sound

If i want my ps3 in surround, i am required to to remove and reinstall the cables

Budget ~$50

Also would this switch work for the Fire Stick if plugged into the switch?
 
Last edited:
You may lose some audio dropping from HDMI to optical. Your TV will need to support outputting DD 5.1 or DTS over Optical... You can only output 2 channels within Linear PCM settings.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What I was thinking was hdmi in from TV and optical in from receiver. The rest would be hdmi/optical out. Or is that just bonkers?
 
That all in one receiver is the weak link there, that is making everything so inconvenient. I'd save up a couple hundred bucks and buy a real receiver with proper HDMI video switching.
 
There are 3 input optical switches with remote on amazon for around $25.
The monoprice hdmi switches with remote are pretty good.
 
That all in one receiver is the weak link there, that is making everything so inconvenient. I'd save up a couple hundred bucks and buy a real receiver with proper HDMI video switching.

Yea, the receiver is pretty lame. My knowledge of home entertainment and research power at the time of purchase were lame as well. :p

Im just trying to get as much out of this thing as I can as the DVD portion is garbage already.
 
I think you should save money on the HDMI switch and just put it towards a receiver. Receivers with HDMI switching have been around $120 with some recent deals, and those HDMI switches are always bulletproof.
 
Back
Top