HDMI input card

XpediencY

Gawd
Not sure what I'm looking for, but is there a card that does HDMI in and outputs via your videocard?

I.E.) Xbox hdmi to this card... and the videocard outputs the signal to the monitor. I ask because my 30" only has DVI and no HDMI connection. Something like this exist?

To my knowledge this can't be done with a video card as they only come with HDMI output. You might, however, be able to get a HDMI to DVI adapter for your monitor. I've never heard of this being done before with an Xbox though, so take that with a grain of salt.

DVI->HDMI adapter cables are cheap and your best bet. GPU video cards don't accept HDMI or any video signal in. The closest would be an HDMI video capture card and those start at around $200(black magic intensity pro). And that doesn't send a signal straight to the monitor, you'd have to open some sort of video capture software in your OS to view the signal and their could be some lag involved.

Unless you really just want to send the signal through your pc to record it, I recommend just picking up a dvi to hdmi adapter, like this. Just plug the adapter onto your monitor's connection and plug your hdmi cable from your 360 into it. I've got a friend who uses that for his console, since the hdmi and dvi signals can be passively adapted.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for all the replies guys.

http://www.avermedia-usa.com/avertv/product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=482&tab=APDriver

And I can confirm it's plenty fast for real-time gaming from an xbox 360.

It says up to 1080i though. :(
Any idea how it works? Is it like a window you can minimize and maximize like media player or does it totally switch inputs to where you have no access to your desktop until you switch it back?

If I understand correctly, you don't want to unplug your computer and plug your Xbox.

The cheapest way to achieve this is probably a DVI/KVM switch for around $30. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TKPMZ8/

Another option is using an HDMI capture card like this one http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/ but they are not cheap.

You understand correctly. So with this box, I can get an HDMI to DVI converter and attach to the DVI input? From videocard to the box with the other input slot. Then from output to my monitor?

Thanks for all the replies guys.

It says up to 1080i though. :(

What resolution do you plan on playing your xbox at? The xbox will only go up to 1080 afaik. You will just have to do some scaling to make it fit your screen.

I want to play on 1080p, not 1080i. My current xbox over component can do 1080i, but it's blurry compared to the xbox slim/elite via hdmi on 1080p

Well the Xbox only runs games in 1280x720 as a maximum so 720p. Most new games actually run lower at 640,620, or even 600p. Because the consoles cannot keep up with a smooth framerate at the full 720p.

Examples:
Halo 3 ran at 1138x640
Halo reach runs 1152x720
Modern Warfare 2 is only 1024x600

I've only used the AverMedia card on a friends PC but It was a separate media player which I ran in full-screen over the desktop.

I will find out if it can be run in windowed mode for you.

The 360 does upscale fairly well to be fair, but the games are indeed only rendered at 1024x600 to 1280x720.

Well the Xbox only runs games in 1280x720 as a maximum so 720p. Most new games actually run lower at 640,620, or even 600p. Because the consoles cannot keep up with a smooth framerate at the full 720p.

Examples:
Halo 3 ran at 1138x640
Halo reach runs 1152x720
Modern Warfare 2 is only 1024x600

I've only used the AverMedia card on a friends PC but It was a separate media player which I ran in full-screen over the desktop.

I will find out if it can be run in windowed mode for you.

Thanks man. That would indeed be a useful feature so you can pretty much do both :D

Although a KVM switch is looking appealing... I know you can do DVI to HDMI, but can this happen in reverse also?

I checked and the AverMedia program can run in a window. I would really only go that route though if you want to record your 360 for youtube and stuff.

Otherwise, yes, a switch is a good and cheaper option.

DVI = HDMI , just w/o sound.... I am 99% sure.

Just get a DVI->HDMI converter and you should be all good, with no loss of quality either!

This guy has a decent option for "bang for your buck" fix on this issue:

Guy gave it 4 stars because it maxes out at 1600x1200. Any idea of a good dual link one that actually works? I've found a couple, but people with 30" says they don't work.

I'm going to need 30" compatibility.

I don't think you will find one compatible with dual-link DVI. HDMI is only compatible with single-link DVI. At least pin-for-pin. You would need a more expensive active switch with real circuitry and not just a physical pin switch.

I could be wrong though.

That sucks, because I need to be able to output 2560x1600 for when I'm switching to my desktop.

Oh, I found one!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Video+-+Mouse)+Switches-_-STARTECH-_-17707257

You think XBOX360 with HDMI/DVI converter and my PC desktop 30" monitor would do it correctly?

I'm only using the DVI inputs/outputs. Everything else USB will stay on my desktop. I couldn't find a dedicated Dual-link DVI switcher that's not a KVM.

Back