hdmi (hdcp) video card vs. regular video card with hdcp

Current HDMI video cards do audio only by SPDIF in, SPDIF doesn't have enough bandwidth for the audio formats (TrueHD) that HD DVDs are now using. So far the only real benefit of HDMI is that its a single cable rather then having to run two. The added cost of a video card with HDMI on it doesn't exactly make me want one when theres little advantage.

IMO I'd rather go with a DVI card that supports HDCP and use one of those DVI to HDMI adapters if you need an HDMI connection (since some TVs have it rather then DVI) and then go SPDIF out to a reciever. That or wait for the newer video cards to come out; ATI's RV630 has an audio decoder onboard to it's HDMI cards to get around that problem with SPDIF not having enough bandwidth.

But when it comes right down to it: HDMI is just DVI with audio.

i want to know if i get the hdmi video card and plug in the video cable only into the tv. the sound part of it will put the onboard sound. will it works or not. so the movie sound will comes up on the on-board sound card.

Again. Sound is not available, or even decodable by an receiver, on the HDMI.

However their is one card that I have seen that lets you connect it to the HDMI. Don't see the purpose as of NOW.

Might want to wait for the new NV's to come out. Get NV for purevideo. It is better and they run cooler and more efficient.

You will pay a premium for hDCP unfortunately. I would do a 7600GT. I believe there is a 7600gs or a 7300 series HDCP ready. If you game the min I would do is a 7600GT.

there is no 7300 series video card that support hdcp?

GV-NX76G256HI-RH

i want to buy this card. but no where to be find. :(

You can get audio and video to use the same HDMI cable, its rather simple too. I have this video card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127223

Which has an HDMI output with an audio passthrough. There is a cable that connects to your digital audio pinout on your motherboard if you have it or sound card if you dont, and the digital audio and video travel together. It's awesome because I can send sound from media center through the HDMI cable to my TV and leave a second set of speakers hooked up for gaming and other normal use on my desk.

I'd say that is a pretty practical purpose as you can get a long ass HDMI cable from monoprice for dirt cheap.

The only problem with sending the sound with the video (which is absolutely, 100% the way HDMI is supposed to work) is that a lot of HDTV's (mine included) won't pass through the 5.1 to the coax or optical out. My TV has a SPDIF out, but it only passes the ATSC 5.1. I completely agree, you should be able to send 5.1 via HDMI to the tv, and then pass the audio from the tv to the receiver, but in practicality, it doesn't always work that way. Blame the HDTV manufacturers for this colossal design flaw.

You can get audio and video to use the same HDMI cable, its rather simple too. I have this video card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127223

Which has an HDMI output with an audio passthrough. There is a cable that connects to your digital audio pinout on your motherboard if you have it or sound card if you dont, and the digital audio and video travel together. It's awesome because I can send sound from media center through the HDMI cable to my TV and leave a second set of speakers hooked up for gaming and other normal use on my desk.

I'd say that is a pretty practical purpose as you can get a long ass HDMI cable from monoprice for dirt cheap.

I would assume that a reciever has more imputs than a standard TV, right?

Now, ill just say it up front that I don't know what I'm talking about but wouldnt it make more sense to send the AV from the computer to the reciever via HDMI send it to the TV and amps/speakers seperately:

PS3----------------\ /-----------------Speakers
TV---------------->Reciever
HD-DVD----------/ \----------------TV

Yes, I agree that most TV's are poorly designed (especially in terms of the UI), so why not bypass the TV for all aspects but video.

Ninja edit: the picture doesnt look exacly like i typed it but basically multiple HDMI imputs go to the reciever which HDMI's to the TV

OP: I'm assuming your tv has HDMI imput, does it have DVI and how far is it from the computer?

if i buy the 7300 hdmi video card, the powerdvd 7.3 will not support it anyway. the min. video card support by powerdvd 7.3 is 7600gt and not 7300.

if i buy the 7300 hdmi video card, the powerdvd 7.3 will not support it anyway. the min. video card support by powerdvd 7.3 is 7600gt and not 7300.

Supported != doesn't work. PowerDVD doesn't support a lot of cards...but they do work. I'd be willing to be that somebody has tried it out in RL and should be able to give you an answer.

you are using anydvd. what happen if you put a hd-dvd disc inside the xbox360 and play it. it is going to say that it is not compatible.

you are using anydvd. what happen if you put a hd-dvd disc inside the xbox360 and play it. it is going to say that it is not compatible.

Hrm....boggling. Just called my neighbor who I found out is running a 7300 (he is a cheaper bastard than me) and powerdvd 7.3...need to see what he is doing for HD. Maybe he knows something we don't. My apologies.

Supported != doesn't work. PowerDVD doesn't support a lot of cards...but they do work. I'd be willing to be that somebody has tried it out in RL and should be able to give you an answer.
Exactly. For the longest time PowerDVD said my 8800GTX wasn't HDCP ready and wasn't compatible, but it still worked just fine. I watch HDDVD's via the Xbox 360 HDDVD drive on my 37'' Westy 1080p hooked up to the computer.

i am talking about onboard video and not your 8800gtx video card. of couse your 8800gtx support it. but your onboard video card does not support it.

Oh.. nowhere did I see you were talking about onboard video. I can't magically tell what you are thinking. I was clarifying to another [H] member that the 'compatible' video card list and compatibility program doesn't matter for PowerDVD. As long as you are HDCP ready, it works.

Back