HDMI Graphics card or motherboard?

bejocund

n00b
Now that more monitors have HDMI, has anyone heard of upcoming HDMI graphics card or motherboards? Have they been released or only announced?

I am opening up an office and each room will have a LCD monitor for movies. so instead of running audio wires and video wires, why not just run 1 HDMI cable to each monitor? hence the need for HDMI.

I don't think the HDMI ports on those cards will provide sound. Just because HDMI is capable of it doesn't mean the Vid card will give you sound.

I don't think the HDMI ports on those cards will provide sound. Just because HDMI is capable of it doesn't mean the Vid card will give you sound.

This is true, there have been a few posts on here where the poster has wondered if this will ever happen. It could be possible to one day offer sound through a graphics card as well. But since graphics cards are for the computer market, and very few computer monitor's have built in sound to begin with this days (secondly I don't think anyone with a HDMI port has or benefits from the sound in those ports). Though I am not sure about the secondly part. As for using a TV as a computer monitor, this is still far and few between as for the mass public goes. Until you see computer monitors with on board sound that benefits from the HDMI port in massive quantity, you won't see graphics card companies going out of their way to implement this feature, since there isn't a high demand.

There is already motherboard with HDMI port such as Unika U690GM HDMI Pro which utilize AMD RS690 with ATI SB600 Chipset, that support ATI AVIVo as well.

2007-2-10-201-44.jpg

2007-2-10-201-44.jpg

2007-2-10-201-59.jpg

More info can be get over http://unicat.com.cn/cncpmore.asp?id=125 and http://www.unika.com.cn/index.php?option=com_unika_content&task=view&id=479&Itemid=2

I am sure that HDMI will become a standard in the future especially for media center PC’s but all manufacturers still have to work on a common standard to allow sound to integrate along with video, this means that video cards and sound devices need to connect and monitors (both computer & TV) need sound outputs to connect to external sound systems. It seems like a perfect excuse for the industry to cash in as new connection standard would help to finally make analog technology at least semi obsolete would it not?

I am sure that HDMI will become a standard in the future especially for media center PC’s but all manufacturers still have to work on a common standard to allow sound to integrate along with video, this means that video cards and sound devices need to connect and monitors (both computer & TV) need sound outputs to connect to external sound systems. It seems like a perfect excuse for the industry to cash in as new connection standard would help to finally make analog technology at least semi obsolete would it not?

Actually, this will be the up and coming standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Display_Interface

Good post Devman,
The only problem remains segregation between PC and home entertainment technology and UDI may remain to be a PC standard (?) let’s hope not.
http://www.udiwg.org/home

What happens when I plug a UDI PC into an HDMI TV? Will I hear audio?
If a PC simply supports UDI, then audio will not be sent along the link. Audio will need to be supported through another traditional means such as the SPDIF or analog audio jacks from the PC. Regarding video signals, an HDMI-compatible TV that also supports the UDI specification will see video of the same quality as if being driven by a HDMI host.
If a PC design supports both UDI and HDMI, then the PC will detect that it has interfaced with a HDMI TV and automatically go into HDMI mode. The PC will act like any other typical HDMI host and send both video and audio to the TV.

I don't understand why its important to get audio and video out of the same equipment, built in speakers are poopy, and if you've got a nice speaker set up with your HDTV, well your either gonna have to run cables from the PC to the speakers (DVI + Audio) or if you use an HDMI connection your going to have to run cables from the TV to the speakers, either way its the same amount of cables. I guess if you really want to use built in speakers (or don't care like in the OPs situation), more power to you.

It’s not important to get audio and video out of the same equipment to power crappy speakers. The idea is to replace the multiple connection types with one integrated cable type. One or more high bandwidth in/out fully digital ports could power equipment in series. This way you reduce the rats nest of multiple connection types with one connection in and one out. For example, sound and video is integrated inside the pc and exists through one cable to your monitor, one out port on your monitor will connect to your high definition speakers. The same goes for your entertainment center etc.

It’s not important to get audio and video out of the same equipment to power crappy speakers. The idea is to replace the multiple connection types with one integrated cable type. One or more high bandwidth in/out fully digital ports could power equipment in series. This way you reduce the rats nest of multiple connection types with one connection in and one out. For example, sound and video is integrated inside the pc and exists through one cable to your monitor, one out port on your monitor will connect to your high definition speakers. The same goes for your entertainment center etc.

I get what your saying, but:

PC -> Monitor/TV
Monitor/TV -> Speakers

and

PC-> Monitor/TV
PC-> Speakers

is still the same number of connections and wires that have to be used.
Regardless of what is hooked up to those HD speakers, they still must be hooked up by something, moving the source to the monitor might possibly be a convenience factor for some, but doesn't reduce the total number of connections needed.

The only benefit I can see to running audio and video on the same cable is if the speakers are integrated in to the display itself which cuts you down to one connection which is

PC -> Monitor/TV

One cable exiting the back of your pc compared to two or more? There would be a difference between one cable in series and two or more in parallel.And to be forward thinking, think of the opportunity to send higher bandwidth and a combination of signals from several sources not to mention the elimination of several connectivity types, component, vga, optical, usb etc. I would still prefer to have one unified cable in series than two or more separate cables

Back