• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HDMI FPS cap still at 60 fps?

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
26,430
I only have one HDMI cable on me just ordered another one a blue rigger off Amazon. With my PS4 cable on my PC I only get 60 fps cap in all games. Was wondering if it's still capped for 1080P. I know with HDMI 2.0 it's capped at 60 FPS for
4K monitors but wasn't sure about 1080P.
 
HDMI 1.4 can handle 144 hz at 1080p. Are you getting the 60 hz cap with your Samsung?
 
I just picked it up yesterday cause I wanted to try a flicker free monitor that had a modern HDMI connection.
 
Might be the monitor itself only does 60 hz. I can't find any details about how high it goes.
 
OK Thanks never thought it could be just the monitor. No big deal cause I don't use it for gaming anyway too small for most games out there.

Still going to try another cable when it comes in the mail...
 
I'm thinking my HDMI cable is meant for the Playstation 4 so it's not your standard cable which for console games means it's from 2013.
Going to experiment buying a Cable at work tomorrow or hopefully the ones from Amazon get here quick.
 
All HDMI cables are more or less the same if the manufacturer is a partner. Ignoring optional features like ethernet, the only real difference is whether or not it is "high speed."
 
I think the problem is I'm using Shadowplay to capture the FPS on screen and it's capped at 60 so it might not be the monitor or cable.
I read a dozen or so people with the same problem with Shadowplay which is a Nvidia tool included in the Geforce experience download.
 
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anywhere that says that monitor is capable of more than 60hz. I didn't see any mention of refresh rate on Samsung's page, so I would assume the display is limited to 60hz, as that's pretty standard.
 
I got it working I tried the Steam overlay FPS counter instead of Nvidia Shadowplay disabled V-sync and it shows the correct FPS. Nothing to do with the hardware at all. 60hz still 60 FPS you can get can overclock it but usually get stuttering. Like in Rift it would display 156 fps or whatever but would stutter like crazy cause the monitor could only handle 60Hz untill you put vertical sync on which would cap it at 60hz but look smoother. Games like Mad Max would have high FPS but it wouldn't look as bad on the 60hz.
Not using this monitor for gaming anyway.

I stupidly though it might be the HDMI cable at first
 
Last edited:
This was about Shadowplay? Yes, the default capture rate for it is 60 FPS and I don't think it can go any higher. Regardless of the capture rate your game will still run as fast as possible if you don't have V-Sync enabled.
 
Back
Top