HDMI>DVI>HDMI and EDID

Ruahrc

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
451
So I discovered that my LG HDTV looks better when connected to my laptop via miniDP>DVI adapter and DVI>HDMI cable as opposed to my mac mini, which I connect to the TV straight using HDMI>HDMI.

It turns out it is something to do with the EDID and the mini treating my TV as an HDTV and not as a "dumb monitor". The solution is to edit the display EDID but this appears to be not possible (or at least I have found no resources) to do on OSX. So my alternative is to buy a DVI>HDMI cable.

My question is, my mac mini shipped with an HDMI>DVI converter cable that I can use to convert the HDMI port into a DVI one. If I then bought a DVI>HDMI cable and connected it to that, the signal chain would look like the following: HDMI>DVI>HDMI. In such a setup, would the mini still treat this as a pure HDMI connection and treat my TV as an HDTV or will it treat my TV as a display since it first gets converted to DVI, then the DVI>HDMI cable is just wiring?

Otherwise I'd have to switch my display cabling around, and run the TV off the mini's thunderbolt port using TB>DVI converter, then DVI>HDMI cable. It's doable and I also have the TV>DVI converter, but it'd take a little bit of cable juggling since my current primary LCD display is driven off the TB port and I'd need to swap it so that it uses the mini's HDMI port instead.

Ruahrc
 
Back
Top