HDMI cable, advantages of a braided cable?

insoc123

Limp Gawd
Hi. I need a short 2 mts. HDMI cable to connect my PS3 to my U2410 Dell monitor. I hate stiff or hard cables, I would like it to be as soft as possible but of course without that meaning that I'm looking for a cheapo cable. I am stuck between two cables from amazon.com: a $5 "regular" cable and a $12 braided cable. Are braided cables more flexible? Any extra interference shield protection is provided with a braided cable? What could be it's advantages, if any? Does being the HDMI cable a "certified" category 2 cable and having a IPS 12 bit monitor like the U2410 is and advantage or having the PS3 connected to the U2410 with the cheapest "non certified" "non category 2" cable would produce any difference at all? Thanks for your help.

You would not see any difference between the two cables you mentioned.
Buy the cheapest and call it a day.

Would the braided cable be stiffer or harder than the non braided. Is the braided cable just a regular cable with an added "braid"? In that case the braided cable would be even stiffer!

Well, anyway, I ended up buying the Sony brand HDMI cable I posted before. It says "Category 2" and I don't know if the amazonbasics UltraHighSpeed cable was a "Category 2" cable. The Sony brand cable is thin and seems flexible tough I don't know what kind of shield, if ever, does it has.
All this jargon and terms most of the times are pure BS. What was my reasoning buying this more expensive cable? I tought, well, it's Sony who is making the cable. Sony wouldn't want to make a bad or cheap cable to connect their PS3 because that would make a bad impression on the image quality of the PS3. If I was Sony I would like to be assured that my equipments be shown in the best way possible so what favor could I be doing myself selling a cable that wouldn't take the PS3 to its limit or that could accept interferences and degradation of the image? Anyway... I feel somehow bad and sad for spending $15 of the money I should have spend for a cable but at least a cable is one thing you buy every 3-5 or even 10 years so anyway.
I still don't know if I was going to be better buying the quad shielded amazonbasics cable... :(

Unless you got some crazy assed stuff running in the same room, your not gonna need the extra shielding, especially at that short of a distance. I hate that companies have tagged so much extra shit onto cable advertisement to justify the jacked up price. www.monoprice.com is your friend, my friend. For the everyday consumers that we are, a cable's a cable and that gold plated, perpindicularly twisted paired, quad shielded cable is gonna work just as good as that, "hey look at me im a cheap ass 5 dollar cable"

Back