HDMI audio and Performance clocks

vick1000

2[H]4U
I recently hooked up my 560ti to my AVR by way of HDMI to get proper 5.1 in games (works perfectly on Dolby Digital gmes). I also have my 24" monitor hooked by way of DVI, and just relaized that Adaptive power clocks are now history. I would eliminate the DVI, but my reciever seems to only support 1080p and my monitor is 1920*1200.

So I am wondering if I get a cheapo nVidia card, could I run it non-SLI and hook up the monitor to it, then get my Adaptive clocks back on the 560ti with HDMI on it. Or would a HDMI splitter of some sort work?

I have read online that GPU2 will retain the performance clocks while allowing GPU1 to adapt-clock normally.

So any suggestions? GPU idling in the low 50s is crazy.

EDIT: Now Media Center is giving some error when I try to watch TV, Some video files not installed or something.

Last edited:
Are you only worrying about the temps? As long as the power consumption doesn't bother you, there is absolutely no harm in a video card idling at 55C. A lot of cards in the past were designed to idle at 65-80 for quietness.

Well I figured a few things out.

First, I fixed the Media Center problem by disabling menu sounds (thank you internet). I also found out that I cannot get HDMI pass through on my monitor, it defaults to 2 channel just as normal SPDIF with the coax, no suprise there.

So I'm stuck with ~50c idle temps if I want proper surround with my AVR. Just for info, the Realtek chip Dolby Digital Live does not produce positional audio in games, not over Toslink anyway. Really wish there was a way to just use the audio stream on the HDMI port on the 560ti, I'm sure it could be implemented in a driver.

Found a solution, the only solution. So for internet searchers, hope you have a SLI motherboard. I bought a cheap Geforce 210 with HDMI, hooked up the AVR to it, and both cards now adapt clocks as normal.

Back