HDMI ARC or Optical to sound bar

mlapgw

Gawd
I have the choice of HDMI ARC or Optical from my TV to a soundbar. Before I run out to purchase a cable is one superior to the other for a TV to soundbar application?

If you can get the hdmi ARC running successfully then do that. I had trouble getting ARC to work on my TV so I just run everything from the soundbar. It had enough HDMI ports.

ARC if both support it. The TV may downgrade all audio running through it to stereo/DPL over optical. My previous samsung did that with optical.

Dont run out to buy an hdmi cable, order from amazon or monoprice and save a ton of cash.

I have a Samsung Soundbar and TV. I could get ARC to work for Control, but no sound. So I'm connected via ARC and opitcal both.

I have a Samsung Soundbar and TV. I could get ARC to work for Control, but no sound. So I'm connected via ARC and opitcal both.

I think arc and control are 2 different features of hdmi.
My Panasonic plasma and pioneer elite don't have ARC, but it does do hdmi control,
I can use the TVs remote to do volume and it says Home Theater Audio on the screen and the volume changes on the reciever. And when I turn off the tv, the receiver turns off.
I know the pioneer doesn't have ARC since that is the reason the guy on Craigslist was selling it.

I think arc and control are 2 different features of hdmi.
My Panasonic plasma and pioneer elite don't have ARC, but it does do hdmi control,
I can use the TVs remote to do volume and it says Home Theater Audio on the screen and the volume changes on the reciever. And when I turn off the tv, the receiver turns off.
I know the pioneer doesn't have ARC since that is the reason the guy on Craigslist was selling it.

There's CEC, but this was control via Samsung's Anynet+ ethernet system. And it wanted to use the ARC labelled port on the TV for it.

Back