HDMI 2.1 has major issues.

bigbluefe

[H]ard|Gawd
Apparently there is a bug in some of the Panasonic produced chipsets that are used in many 2.1 devices, where there is some kind of mismatch between some of the first components that output 2.1, like the 3000 series graphics cards and the new Xbox. Here’s a statement from the parent company of Denon/Marantz. And there are others.

Some new gaming source devices that support 4K/120Hz output may not work fully with Denon (or Marantz) 8K AVRs. You may discover this incompatibility issue due to a HDMI chipset mismatch between the devices. When the affected system is connected to the AVR via 8K HDMI input and set to output at 4K/120Hz, and the AVR’s 4K Signal Format option is set to “8K Enhanced,” you may not see the system’s source video on their display, and may not hear the system’s source audio processed through the AVR. This problem is only present when a display that supports 4K/120Hz is used.
We are currently investigating the issue further and will offer a permanent solution at a later date. Meanwhile, we would like to provide a couple workarounds to prevent the issue in its current state:
• You can connect the system to the display directly via HDMI and use the display’s ARC/eARC functionality to feed the native audio back to the AVR using the connected HDMI cable between the AVR and display. This will allow users to decode the native audio format sent from the source. With this method, the display’s CEC/ARC option must be enabled as well as the AVR’s HDMI Control and/or the AVR’s ARC option. In the AVR, this option is located within the GUI under “Video – HDMI Setup.”
• Another workaround is to leave or change the source’s video output to 4K/60Hz instead of 4K/120Hz until a permanent solution is available. This will ensure reliable communication between the source, the AVR and the display. The source’s default is set to output at 4K/60Hz, so if no change was initiated out of the box, then nothing further needs to be done.
We apologize for this inconvenience and we are currently working tirelessly to release a permanent solution so you can enjoy the 4K/120Hz experience using the latest sources with your AVR. We will have an update soon regarding the timeline of a permanent solution. We appreciate your patience.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...eportedly-hit-by-major-hdmi-bug/#561d7eb4597e

https://www.audioholics.com/news/bug-in-hdmi-2.1-chipsets

From Shacknews:
https://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=40070377#item_40070377

So it's a bug in the panasonic firmware, the sky is not falling... Did you even read your own articles just read one and they said they connected it to monitors without issue? People with AVR's using the Panasonic chipset are screwed, with them not even knowing if there is a software fix for it. Why is this even here, even the except you provided shows this isnt a source problem i.e. videocard and should be in a different sub-forum.

Day 1 features tend not to work. Same dance happened back when HTPC + HDMI first started hitting the floor; lots of issues, lots of bugs, lots of things that couldn't be easily fixed in software. I had a box in 2007 with a 4870 in it I built to be an HTPC hooked up to an AVR and a 1080P screen, and it was buggy as fuck. Now that combo just works. Sad but true. It's why I don't believe in being an early adopter of some of this stuff - especially when the investment is relatively high like it is with a setup like that.

Wait is the scenario for the issue to occur:
When the affected system is connected to the AVR via 8K HDMI input and set to output at 4K/120Hz, and the AVR’s 4K Signal Format

Who would do that ? (have a 8K hdmi source to output to a 4K screen) ? That sound extremelly niche.

I remember having all sorts of issues back when HDMI was brand new. So much so that I ended up buying and re-selling 3 different AVRs in the course of 5 years. Luckily I didn't lose too much money on those re-sales.
Firmware updates are way easier these days (if that's enough to fix something like this), but I'm still glad I've waited to jump on the HDMI 2.1 train. I'm still targeting next spring after CES. The kinks should be worked out by then thanks to the new consoles and both NVIDIA and AMD having devices in the marketplace.

Wait is the scenario for the issue to occur:
When the affected system is connected to the AVR via 8K HDMI input and set to output at 4K/120Hz, and the AVR’s 4K Signal Format

Who would do that ? (have a 8K hdmi source to output to a 4K screen) ? That sound extremelly niche.

Same input, if I remember right - either 4k120 or 8k60, same port. So you're using the high-end port, and using the lower-res/higher-refresh option on that port, and things go sideways (since nothing does 8k really yet).

I remember having all sorts of issues back when HDMI was brand new. So much so that I ended up buying and re-selling 3 different AVRs in the course of 5 years. Luckily I didn't lose too much money on those re-sales.
Firmware updates are way easier these days (if that's enough to fix something like this), but I'm still glad I've waited to jump on the HDMI 2.1 train. I'm still targeting next spring after CES. The kinks should be worked out by then thanks to the new consoles and both NVIDIA and AMD having devices in the marketplace.
I've still got one of mine sitting here from my dance doing that. Used it in various other things over the years, but it was still a pain in the ass.

I bypassed any AVR problems with my LG CX by routing video directly to the TV and using a cheap DP to HDMI converter to output sound to my older Onkyo RZ-810 that only supports 4K 60Hz (and no gsync/vrr). Works great as a 1024x768 extended screen dummy display and I still get Dolby Atmos output to my 5.2.2 sound system. The only inconvenience is that when I screenshot the desktop, I have to crop out the dummy screen - oh, and I often have to reset the sound to Atmos output, as it reverts to stereo when turning it back on (an Nvidia driver issue, I think).

This might not be relevant to everyone, but it's a cheap fix for some.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I bypassed any AVR problems with my LG CX by routing video directly to the TV and using a cheap DP to HDMI converter to output sound to my older Onkyo RZ-810 that only supports 4K 60Hz (and no gsync/vrr). Works great as a 1024x768 extended screen dummy display and I still get Dolby Atmos output to my 5.2.2 sound system. The only inconvenience is that when I screenshot the desktop, I have to crop out the dummy screen - oh, and I often have to reset the sound to Atmos output, as it reverts to stereo when turning it back on (an Nvidia driver issue, I think).

This might not be relevant to everyone, but it's a cheap fix for some.

Is their some issue if you just output sound via an optical cable from the TV to your AVR?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is their some issue if you just output sound via an optical cable from the TV to your AVR?
I've not done that, but I've heard that others with the CX are having audio lag issues doing that with pass through audio and certain sound types (dolby surround I think - I'm not sure that Atmos is even supported over optical).

Hmm. I've got a 7.1 surround system but the only game I've played that actually supported it was Witcher 3 (and it was freaking awesome). Maybe I'll just wait and get an AVR with that eARC thing. Once the chips all are in play and I can find one that will actually do 4k120.

Hmm. I've got a 7.1 surround system but the only game I've played that actually supported it was Witcher 3 (and it was freaking awesome). Maybe I'll just wait and get an AVR with that eARC thing. Once the chips all are in play and I can find one that will actually do 4k120.
eARC is more of a TV/AVR combination thing.

It depends on your use case. Just for TV audio it will work fine.
But if you plug your PC, console or Blu Ray directly to the TV and pass sound through the TV to your AVR (or would like to do that), it has limits.

Optical only supports stereo without lossy compression, anything more must be compressed.
Surround is heavily lossy compressed and maxes out at 5.1. You can only use 5.1 if you send pre-encoded/compressed data down it.
If you dont have the means to live encode 5.1 you cant use it for surround gaming.
But you can use it for 5.1 movie audio if the movie includes a compressed 5.1 track.

Another annoyance is it needs another cable that is quite fragile.
Now HDMI eARC can provide full bandwidth 7.1 or Atmos/DTS:X for even more channels without needing any further encoding, the optical cable is completely redundant on new kit.
As long as they fix the bugs ;)

Last edited:
Both the TV and AVR must support eARC for it to pass everything ok.
To press, most TVs have been ARC only which limits what can be passed quite a lot. To get eARC you need a new or near new TV, plus check it is supported.
I know Denon and Marantz AVRs (are made by the same company) from 3 years back had updates adding eARC support so you might not need a new one.
Check the specs of anything you buy to be sure of support.

I have a C9 and a 3 year old receiver and eARC works fine passing uncompressed 5.1 PCM from PC/PS4 -> TV -> AVR. Zero lag.

My new TV has eARC, my soundbar (with 5.1 surround sound) does not given that its a couple of years old.

However, and this is purely anecdotal.

Switching the HDMI cable from my TV to the soundbar to an eARC 2.1 cable fixed the audio sync issues that my previous cable (hdmi 2.0) had when I have audio passthrough enabled. It does have Dolby Surround.

Sounds more like a difference in interpretation. Happens all the time in the early days of technology. Sucks but is what it is.

I bought a Yamaha TSR-700 last week to be my HDMI 2.1 receiver. Thankfully, I purchased it from Costco so they have a 90 day 100% satisfaction guaranteed return policy. If Yamaha can't update the firmware to solve the issue within that time frame I'll return it and wait for a new, fully functioning HDMI 2.1 receiver to be released.

I dodged a bullet.
My Dad wanted a new AVR with HDMI 2.0 and lots of them so I offered him mine and was going to get a new one with HDMI 2.1.
"IF" the new Denons had more than 1x HDMI 2.1 ports and the pretty low key audio quality was improved I would have bought one.
But neither of those feature, even on the highest end models, so Denon rightfully lost a sale. Poor show.
Its actually better to get an HDMI 2.1 TV and use that as an HDMI switch.
And after this crap show, avoid new AVRs!

I’m not a fan of ARC. My TV hasn’t gotten the promised update to eARC. My Yamaha does support eARC. I end up just using my Nvidia shield to my Yamaha for Plex. I can definitely hear the difference between, bit streaming and letting the receiver decode (Dolby truHD or DTSX) vs using the Plex app on my TCL and sending it over ARC. I would much rather use the built in apps and only have to use the tv remote , as it also controls the Yamaha over cec. Luckily in my theater I’m still good with my old Marantz 6011 does 7.2.4 decoding and passes HDR. Be a while before projectors get Dolby vision or 4k/120hz.

Also you definitely don’t want to use an optical cable if your going to do surround sound. Playing video games in Atoms in my theater is killer you can hear where everything is coming from.

I’ll wait another year and wait for the bugs to get sorted out. I am not impressed with the power of most new mid priced AVRS. There was a nice sweet spot in receiver tech 10 yrs ago with high power, 1080p and ATMOS support. I am waiting for a similar combo in features. The Denon 3600 on sale is pretty close but now the Denon 3700 has the damn 8k bug.

I’ll wait another year and wait for the bugs to get sorted out. I am not impressed with the power of most new mid priced AVRS. There was a nice sweet spot in receiver tech 10 yrs ago with high power, 1080p and ATMOS support. I am waiting for a similar combo in features. The Denon 3600 on sale is pretty close but now the Denon 3700 has the damn 8k bug.
My Dad just bought a 3600, good value and the best SQ of the range too.
It was hard enough to make him spend that much and there is no need for an 8K TV in his life so this will last him 10 years+.
As said for myself earlier in the thread, he also dodged a bullet avoiding these new 8K receivers (because he would then want an 8K display and wouldnt be pleased).

8K for TV, movies and gaming has no benefit unless you change to a wall size display and dont sit further back (which is just too damn big!).
And I reckon its going to be at least 5 years before we have enough GPU power to drive it well anyway.
Should you get an 8K TV less than 100", just send it 4K max, you wont care for the difference.
The benefit 8K brings is more real estate for PC desktop use if you barely scale the font size and sit close.
But you gotta be some heavy user to need that much space!

Last edited:
Back