HDMI 2.1 cables

zurv

Limp Gawd
I don't think there are any officially certified hdmi 2.1 cables yet. (there are some Chinese ones that say they are, but with not certified logo on their packaging.)
(it is a new cable. Your old cable isn't going to "maybe work" - it won't, unless it was built to the new spec.)
https://www.hdmi.org/spec21Sub/UltraHighSpeedCable

The HDMI 2.1 Specification includes a new cable - the Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable. It’s the only cable that complies with stringent specifications designed to ensure support for all HDMI 2.1 features including uncompressed 8k@60 and 4K@120. The cable’s increased bandwidth capability supports up to 48Gbps.

So, we all need new cables and we get to play the game of will-this-really-work-because-it-isn't-certified. But the old cables won't work - so you have to play for the chance to win. :D

I got the Belkin ones already, but i'm going to also pick up some other random ones. I'll be grumpy when I get my 3090s and 4k/120 doesn't work. (or 4k HRD with full chroma. Honestly that is the biggest win for me. I hate switching video settings between 8/rgb/full and 10/422/limited if i'm using HRD or not. huzzah! full chroma on HRD now!)

(i'm using a LG 77" C9 directly connected to my PC and using eARC to send audio to the AVR.)

So, what are you guys using to connect your new Nvidia cards to your 4k TV with HDMI 2.1 ?

Last edited:
i have faith something will work with SLI :D but yes, i am. For 2 systems.

SLI is hot garbage for gaming. I know Zurv & Bashaah like to roll heavy with their big epeens, but at this point one would be better off wearing the second 3090 around their neck like a piece of jewelry! The buttery smoothness of solo cardo is so much better than dealing with tiny microstutter & ALL THE OTHER HEADACHES from multi gpu.

But on topic, I have the 3D Club Hdmi 2.1 cables and they have been great.
https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2...mit_cable_10k_120hz_48gbps_m-m_2_m.-6.56_ft./

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Club3D-U...-120Hz-48Gbps-M-M-2-m-6-56-ft-Black/888033054

https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-CAC-1372-Ultra-Speed-Male-Male/dp/B07H5Y5N55

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
SLI is hot garbage for gaming. I know Zurv & Bashaah like to roll heavy with their big epeens, but at this point one would be better off wearing the second 3090 around their neck like a piece of jewelry! The buttery smoothness of solo cardo is so much better than dealing with tiny microstutter & ALL THE OTHER HEADACHES from multi gpu.

But on topic, I have the 3D Club Hdmi 2.1 cables and they have been great.
https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2...mit_cable_10k_120hz_48gbps_m-m_2_m.-6.56_ft./

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Club3D-U...-120Hz-48Gbps-M-M-2-m-6-56-ft-Black/888033054

https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-CAC-1372-Ultra-Speed-Male-Male/dp/B07H5Y5N55

If I may ask, what HDMI 2.1 source are you using those with?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There's a good chance a decent quality 2.0 cable will work. If you already have one I'd give it a go...

There's a good chance a decent quality 2.0 cable will work. If you already have one I'd give it a go...

There are required changes for 2.1 (for the bandwidth side of things. Other stuff like eARC can work with old cables.) (i put the link and quote on the first post about it.)
So, 100% an old cable will not work for 4k 120. That said, will the uncertified cables do it? Maybe? maybe not? But there is a chance they will.. but there is no chance for the older cables.

What changed in the cables? no idea :) But it is more than that more shielding (like with ethernet cables)

I wonder if there is even equipment that can test for "certified" yet.

People will know this month. (Hopefully i can find stock of the new NVidia cards so i can try too.)

RE: Cost for SLI. Well... yeah. For my HTPC that is already paid for. I sold my Kingpin 2080ti SLI a week ago. That covers the cost for 2 3090s.
But the system i'm now with the RTX Titans.. ugh.. those kinda are worth $600+ now. blah.

Unreal still supports SLI ... CD ProjectRED used to support it. Cyberpunk? It would be a good selling point for nvidia if it did.

l88bastard good suggestion for the Club 3d cables. I'll order one of those as a backup for the Belkin i have. (y)

Last edited:
There are required changes for 2.1 (for the bandwidth side of things. Other stuff like eARC can work with old cables.) (i put the link and quote on the first post about it.)
So, 100% an old cable will not work for 4k 120. That said, will the uncertified cables do it? Maybe? maybe not? But there is a chance they will.. but there is no chance for the older cables.

What changed in the cables? no idea :) But it is more than that more shielding (like with ethernet cables)

I wonder if there is even equipment that can test for "certified" yet.

People will know this month. (Hopefully i can find stock of the new NVidia cards so i can try too.)

RE: Cost for SLI. Well... yeah. For my HTPC that is already paid for. I sold my Kingpin 2080ti SLI a week ago. That covers the cost for 2 3090s.
But the system i'm now with the RTX Titans.. ugh.. those kinda are worth $600+ now. blah.

Unreal still supports SLI ... CD ProjectRED used to support it. Cyberpunk? It would be a good selling point for nvidia if it did.

l88bastard good suggestion for the Club 3d cables. I'll order one of those as a backup for the Belkin i have. (y)

Many 2.0 cables will most certainly work for 2.1. It’s copper and shielding. “Bandwidth” isn’t a technical reason a cable won’t work.

I don't understand about the concern for unlicensed or "official" cables. Why not just buy licensed ones?

Also yeah, these "specs" are just for shielding and conductor gauge but that doesn't mean a normal "high speed" cable won't work.

Cables aren't magic.

Yeah no, it's just a bandwidth thing unless you're using ethernet over HDMI and in some cases arc, the only concern is signal loss. There are some HDMI cables that don't have the audio return channel or the Ethernet connectivity. Still never saw a device that used the ethernet connectivity but anyway.

My old super thick non-active monoprice 25-ft HDMI cables do eARC and 4K 120 through my AVR to the TV right now. I have to lower the color depth for 120Hz but it works.

I'm now waiting on some 48 gigabit active or fiber 25 ft cables to replace these when I get an HDMI 2.1 video card and AVR. It'll just bump up the color depth to 10 bit and the 4:4:4 chroma sampling stuff. You can't really tell in games that much but I still like to turn everything on. :)

Last edited:
I don't understand about the concern for unlicensed or "official" cables. Why not just buy licensed ones?

Also yeah, these "specs" are just for shielding and conductor gauge but that doesn't mean a normal "high speed" cable won't work.

Cables aren't magic.

There are no licensed ones. (yet)

I used the cable off my 2080ti displayport to the Club 3D DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter to my 48cx and C9.

Electrically, that's not a HDMI 2.1 source and you can only get the maximum bandwidth of DP 1.4 which is about 32 Gbps. A far cry from the C9's 48 Gbps inputs. Not taking anything from those cables, they do look like a mighty fine cable.

Electrically, that's not a HDMI 2.1 source and you can only get the maximum bandwidth of DP 1.4 which is about 32 Gbps. A far cry from the C9's 48 Gbps inputs. Not taking anything from those cables, they do look like a mighty fine cable.

We will see on the 17th & 24th as I hope to snag a 3000 gpu to take full advantage of the 48cx. I'm sure the cable will be more than adequate.

A lot of TVs have had problems in the past with 2.0 cables that weren't quite up to par. Screen blacking out, etc. that type of symptom. If the 2.0 cable works for 2.1 then great. Worth a try I suppose.

I bought a monoprice 2.1 several months back, hoping it cuts the mustard.

I don't think that "Club 3D DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter" is actually licensed and certified either.

It may pass in the future, but it hasn't yet, afaik.

Back