HDMI 2.0 Spec Finalized

Ya. I read the delay was mostly Apple fighting for DP instead as the TV connector standard (and lost).

I'll be interested to see how long HDMI 2.0 mobos start to appear (esp HTPC friendly ones). Would love to see a BRIX or the refresh of Intel NUC have that.

Although, argh, I'll also have to wait for HDMI 2.0 AVRs now too. May as well take a 1 year nap.

LOL. Ugh.

I wonder if it truly is finalized, or, if there will be a 2.0a, 2.1 b etc. As 4K goes mainstream, I bet that 2.0 spec will get obsoleted quickly.

Ya. I read the delay was mostly Apple fighting for DP instead as the TV connector standard (and lost).

I'll be interested to see how long HDMI 2.0 mobos start to appear (esp HTPC friendly ones). Would love to see a BRIX or the refresh of Intel NUC have that.

Although, argh, I'll also have to wait for HDMI 2.0 AVRs now too. May as well take a 1 year nap.

I would have preferred a DP standard myself, but the backlash from people with all HDMI equipment would have been a disaster. I'm 50/50 DP/HDMI at home. DP just evolves more quickly.

LOL. Ugh.

I wonder if it truly is finalized, or, if there will be a 2.0a, 2.1 b etc. As 4K goes mainstream, I bet that 2.0 spec will get obsoleted quickly.

It will need to once 120hz 4K TV's start popping up for more reasonable prices.

Yep and to conform to Rec 2020 format (upgrading from 709) which is true UHD.

Still miffed that HDMI 2.0 bandwith cops out at 8bit color. I remember watching an old video of a Samsung exec touting 4k/UHD and that its not just about the resolution, itll have 12 bit color, blah blah. That got me excited but now I just feel meh.

Last edited:
I would have preferred a DP standard myself, but the backlash from people with all HDMI equipment would have been a disaster. I'm 50/50 DP/HDMI at home. DP just evolves more quickly.

I think it has more to do with HDMI has the HDCP protection system that needed to be carried forward. I know DP allows for it as well but was it well implemented? It was probably a lot about DRM.

You could transition by staring with both DP and HDMI ports on new devices as it phases to DP. I think Phillips did just that with one of their 4K TVs.

I think it has more to do with HDMI has the HDCP protection system that needed to be carried forward. I know DP allows for it as well but was it well implemented? It was probably a lot about DRM.

You could transition by staring with both DP and HDMI ports on new devices as it phases to DP. I think Phillips did just that with one of their 4K TVs.

Yes, HDCP is well implemented for DP. My main monitor uses DP and I've had no issues with HDCP.

Agreed, having both inputs and outputs in HDMI as well as DP would surely help. The additional cost would be fairly minimal, especially for mid-range and above equipment.

I thought there was a push to change the form factor to something along the lines of RJ-45 so that cable runs could be easily run in-wall and terminated on either end without the need for converters. Cat6 can have a longer run than typical HDMI cable too right?

cat6 is 300' i'm pretty sure, HDMI i'd say you'd be hard pressed to get to 200' without some sort of repeater or some booster like thing.

There saying hdmi 2.0 cables wont be more then 3 meters when they first come out.. Not a big deal for me because I won't be going 4k for a while. Till they drop projector prices below 3 grand for a 4k projector I'll stick with the setup I have now. Going to have to buy a new reciver, video card and projector when I upgrade just to get 4k. Do I want 4k, hell ya even with current blu ray 4k projector's look great on 100+ inch screens.. But 15 grand for one right now I'll have to wait :)

I thought there was a push to change the form factor to something along the lines of RJ-45 so that cable runs could be easily run in-wall and terminated on either end without the need for converters. Cat6 can have a longer run than typical HDMI cable too right?

RJ-45 just won't work out. They will need a specialized connector for correct impedance matching (which is what the current connector does). Once you cross a few 100 Mbit of bandwidth on a differential pair, things start getting fun the technical arena. Can it work..yes. Will it work reliably...not so much.

It is possible in theory to use CAT6 (especially CAT6A) for the necessary bandwidth. But for CAT6 it would have to be short runs and CAT5E is just a gamble. Personally I just wish they would make us switch to fiber and be done with it. Something in an OM3 class would support us up to 100Gbit. But the upfront cost would be prohibitive for mass consumer adoption. So..new wries it is every few years @ $10/cable it is. Long live monoprice! :p

Ah, so I was reading that HDMI 2.0 will have HDCP 2.2, and that the content providers will require HDCP 2.2 for their 4K content (streamed and optical). I guess it all kinda makes sense now. I wonder how DP will upgrade to the new HDCP spec or if it has already.

Back