HDD won't power up

raivo

n00b
Hi! Recently I got 4-free six years old 160GB 3.5" internal SATA hdd. The person who gave it to me said it worked fine on his computer just a few days ago.

But when I connect it to my computer, it will not power up. If I power up the computer first and then connect a power cable, it will shut down immediately. It is not happening with any of my other 4 hdd's.

Any thoughts? By any chance could it be PSU fault? My power supply is 3 or 4 years old 430W Antec earthwatts and it runs 4 hdd's, C2D processor and HD4670 vga card on P5B Deluxe motherboard.

OK I understand if HDD does not power up at all and is dead silent when connected or gives SMART errors or weird noises, but for what reason it shuts down the PSU? Short circuit? But no signs of visual damage on hdd or cables and connectors. Stuck hdd motor? Possible. Is it worth to try other PSU?

Last edited:
but for what reason it shuts down the PSU? Short circuit? But no signs of visual damage on hdd or cables and connectors. Stuck hdd motor? Possible. Is it worth to try other PSU?

A stuck motor could do this.

There's a problem with that drive and it's not worth fixing.

Throw it in the trash and be thankful the others work. :)

Good Luck!

Back