HDD with best reads?

Dracarys

Weaksauce
Hello,

I currently have the 8tb Toshiba x300 I use with several internal SSDs, now I'm upgrading to 10tb. I can't find the actual specs on these drives except for their transfer rates. There are also so many damn versions of the Exos Drives on Seagates website versus what amazon or newegg tells you. I need a drive for music, wiith best reads and random reads because I'll be streaming files constantly. The Seagate is $30 cheaper than the Toshiba:

https://www.newegg.ca/toshiba-x300-hdwr11axzsta-10tb/p/N82E16822149728?Description=x300 10tb&cm_re=x300_10tb-_-22-149-728-_-Product

vs

https://www.newegg.ca/seagate-enter...16-10tb/p/N82E16822178941?Item=9SIAH2M7EW0460

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes when I run out of SSD space, but the Seagate $30 cheaper and might be better.

then there really isn't a point to the thread, cause either 10TB is going to outperform your current 8TB, so if the 8TB can keep up, rest assured the 10TB can keep up

get the seagate, it's $30 cheaper and has 5 year warranty, vs the 3 the toshiba has

how many devices will be streaming music from the drive at the same time?
Most modern 7200rpm drives should be at least 200MB/s with decent random reads.
I have a WD Black 8TB D10 External with an HGST 7200rpm drive in it and it reads/writes well over 200MB/s.
I haven't shucked it yet and stuck it in the PC, just used it via USB to copy my failing 4TB Black to it.

how many devices will be streaming music from the drive at the same time?
Most modern 7200rpm drives should be at least 200MB/s with decent random reads.
I have a WD Black 8TB D10 External with an HGST 7200rpm drive in it and it reads/writes well over 200MB/s.
I haven't shucked it yet and stuck it in the PC, just used it via USB to copy my failing 4TB Black to it.

I have like 9 SSDs, 500gb-1tb, and OS on a 850 pro. I'm not streaming that many instruments from the HDD, and I know the Toshiba will get the job done, but Seagate is cheaper, newer, and better warranty. But, I read the Drives like Iron Wolf, Red, and other lines have way worse random read speeds. Also there's so many versions of the Seagate Exos, I don't know why they don't post the specs. Don't even know if the Seagate is a performance drive. Example:

https://hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Toshiba-X300-4TB-vs-Seagate-IronWolf-1TB-2016/3592vs3904

Also, Look at all these difference versions:

https://www.seagate.com/ca/en/enterprise-storage/exos-drives/exos-x-drives/exos-x10/

I have like 9 SSDs, 500gb-1tb, and OS on a 850 pro. I'm not streaming that many instruments from the HDD, and I know the Toshiba will get the job done, but Seagate is cheaper, newer, and better warranty. But, I read the Drives like Iron Wolf, Red, and other lines have way worse random read speeds. Also there's so many versions of the Seagate Exos, I don't know why they don't post the specs

When you say instruments, are you talking about virtual instruments in like Pro Tools?

When you say instruments, are you talking about virtual instruments in like Pro Tools?

Yes Cubase 10 Pro, streaming Kontakt samples. Worried about voice count in kontakt mainly. More intense libraries are on the SSDs.

I personally doubt those benchmarks... two high-ish end HDDs, one being over 500% better? not likely

Maybe in just some specific aspects. F it I'm getting the Toshiba for an extra $30, nobody online will have the answer to this.

All of those 4KB random read numbers are bogus--the X300's insanely so.
[Toshiba 3.51 MB/s -- feh !!!! ; HGST 0.97 MB/s -- nah!]
Ergo: userbenchmark.com is for lusers.

Just as an example:
Avg. seek time 8 millisec
Avg rotational latency (@7200 rpm) 4.16 millisec
[therefore, avg access time = 12.16 millisec]
(4 KB / 12.16 millisec) = 0.337 MB/sec

The HGST has a very fast seek time (even the 6+ TB Deskstar/NAS models) ~7.5 ms
The Toshiba X300's are pretty damn good too -- ~8.5 ms
The Seagate's ... don't know/care [but slower] -- I wouldn't buy one anyway.

Back