• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HDD vs SSD Lifespans?

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
9,484
First off, I don't care about data retention; this has nothing to do with the question.

What I am curious about is whether HDDs or SSDs have a longer lifespan. For example, if you were folding, which would be the better? Don't SSDs have a limited number of writes?

Just curious about some stuff. :D
 
Flash memory does have a finite number of writes available. However, the vast majority of PC users, even enthusiasts, will never come close to that limit.

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-features/39204-intel-claims-ssd-superiority-tries-to-dispel-myths
Intel says that their drives will handle 100GB of writes per day for five years. In their internal testing, most people used 2-3GB per day, with the highest being under 20GB. If you can do 10x what Intel's heaviest user did, constantly, you might cut the lifespan of the drive down to 3 years.

And that article was from 2008. With TRIM on the new drives, you should be rewriting fewer unnecessary bits, meaning a reduction in the number of writes. That means it should last even longer.

Here's some info I posted on SD yesterday:
FYI, my 80GB X-25M is showing 1735 hours powered on and 381.53GB of writes. That comes out to 5.28GB/day for ~72 days (delivered to me on 11/19 = 79 days ago). I have my OS, user profiles, and most common apps installed on the SSD. I have a 1GB pagefile on the SSD (which doesn't get used much due to 6GB of RAM) and I always disable disk caching in my browser. The Intel SSD Toolbox is scheduled to run overnight since the OS doesn't support TRIM. I have not made any other SSD-specific changes on my XP x64 install (partitions cloned from my HDD). This system runs 24x7, crunching dnetc on the CPU and both GPUs when I'm not using it.
 
Back
Top