HDD Swap Question

Pyroja

Gawd
Just a quick question: Gonna be bulding a new system for a friend. Obviously this entails a new hard drive. He's stressed to me that he wants everything to appear, to him, exactly as it was on his old setup. So! With that in mind, I was wondering if there's some software around, maybe a bootable disc or some such, that can just do a complete clone of all his current crap on to the new HD. Yes, I know I'll have to deal with drivers and all, but I know my way around that mess. I want this because he has several pieces of software that are crucial to him that he probably won't be able to find the install discs for. While I know he should be keeping these things, the damage is already done.

So, just to reiterate, I would like to know of any software (Preferably a bootable image, maybe something I could throw on a CD or thumb drive) that can give me a straight clone of his stuff to the new hard drive.

I seem to recall Norton making a program for this sort of thing, but A) I forget what it was (Ghost?) and B) It's Norton, so I don't care to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Thanks!

No worries, I believe this is an XP machine.

So then, the order would be something along the lines of...

1. Fire up current system.
2. Sysprep it.
3. Make an image.
4. Transfer image to new HDD.
5. Install new drivers as necessary.

Do I got it right?

And is there any other alternative to Ghost? Once, a long long time ago, I believe I had a copy of it, but uh... Fat chance of me finding it now.

Again, thanks for the help!

No worries, I believe this is an XP machine.

So then, the order would be something along the lines of...

1. Fire up current system.
2. Sysprep it.
3. Make an image.
4. Transfer image to new HDD.
5. Install new drivers as necessary.

Do I got it right?

And is there any other alternative to Ghost? Once, a long long time ago, I believe I had a copy of it, but uh... Fat chance of me finding it now.

Again, thanks for the help!

Make your image before you sysprep the machine. An alternative to Ghost is Acronis, works well, but it's not free either.

Ah, Acronis will do the trick. Their software has a 15-day full featured trial. I only need it for a couple hours, so I believe that'll do.

Once more, thanks for the help. Now I can't wait to get this job done :)

Back