HDD Stability Question.

FenFox

Limp Gawd
So unfortunately I can only utilize 2x screw holes in the HDD trays that come with my Fractal Design Define R4 case. Not sure how big of a deal this is, I guess these are 2.5" trays instead of 3.5"?

Should I be concerned about vibrations? A few other people I've spoken to say not to worry, Seagate said I should probably do something more to secure them. What do you guys think? Keeping in mind these are 10 TB HDD's, so not exactly cheap to replace!

My most important question is this........Are there other trays I can buy to swap with these so I can properly fasten the HDD's down?

H55KMZY.jpg

Do you plan on carrying it around while it's energized?

If so, then you need a whole lot more protection than just two more screws.

Do you plan on shipping it via any shipping service?

Then you should secure it with more screws, even if that means forgoing the tray and using a different mount option.

If you answered No to both of those questions, then don't sweat it. You have more than enough to keep it from shifting around during normal movement, which I would include up to carrying it around in a car to LAN parties and the like (I just wouldn't trust UPS/FedEx with it). A lot of my refurb rigs the hard drives are just laying in the bottom of the case with nothing holding them down.

Do you plan on carrying it around while it's energized?

If so, then you need a whole lot more protection than just two more screws.

Do you plan on shipping it via any shipping service?

Then you should secure it with more screws, even if that means forgoing the tray and using a different mount option.

If you answered No to both of those questions, then don't sweat it. You have more than enough to keep it from shifting around during normal movement, which I would include up to carrying it around in a car to LAN parties and the like (I just wouldn't trust UPS/FedEx with it). A lot of my refurb rigs the hard drives are just laying in the bottom of the case with nothing holding them down.

"While It's energized" ? Not while the the computer is turned on and the HDD is working.

No, I don't plan on shipping it but I may take it in my car for a 2 and a half hour trip.

The only thing I'm somewhat concerned about is I sometimes bang/thud my legs against my shitty desk while It's in operation. (Not much leg room unfortunately).

Otherwise I'm fairly careful with my electronics, but I'd still feel better if I could fasten it down with 4 screws though, but I don't know what I can do to fix that problem? How is it that I can't just buy 3.5" bay trays to swap it out with the ones I currently have?

I was saying to try to put the rubber grommets on the outside of your current bracket. From the picture the screw holes seem to almost line up. Loosen up the two current screws and see if you can insert the grommets and screws on the outside. If that does not work you can use a drill, grinder, file or similar metal cutting device to make a little more room.

Last edited:
If your heart is set on having four screws, drilling a new hole in the existing tray is probably your easiest option, apart from finding another location in the case to install it.

For new tray, that would be via the case manufacturer.

So unfortunately I can only utilize 2x screw holes in the HDD trays that come with my Fractal Design Define R4 case. Not sure how big of a deal this is, I guess these are 2.5" trays instead of 3.5"?

Should I be concerned about vibrations? A few other people I've spoken to say not to worry, Seagate said I should probably do something more to secure them. What do you guys think? Keeping in mind these are 10 TB HDD's, so not exactly cheap to replace!

My most important question is this........Are there other trays I can buy to swap with these so I can properly fasten the HDD's down?

View attachment 121556

I think that you're supposed to mouth the drive further back in the tray. So the middle and (from the orientation of your picture) bottom holes align.

Eww. Just got a look at a pic of the underside of these Seagates...

Only two sets of holes.
dsc09240-100672414-orig[1].jpg

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

I think that you're supposed to mouth the drive further back in the tray. So the middle and (from the orientation of your picture) bottom holes align.

Eww. Just got a look at a pic of the underside of these Seagates...

Only two sets of holes.

They never had three sets. You might be confusing the bottom screw holes with the sides.

High capacity drives (since 2013 or so) use different bottom screw holes. They use the same side holes, but some Seagate drives removed the middle side holes (not relevant in this situation).

Last edited:
They never had three sets. You might be confusing the bottom screw holes with the sides.

High capacity drives (since 2013 or so) use different bottom screw holes. They use the same side holes, but some Seagate drives removed the middle side holes (not relevant in this situation).

You're right, I'm corn-fused.

My 15K Cheetah
61hBgCzK6BL._SX425_[1].jpg

My 6TB Deskstar NAS
004[1].JPG

My Caviar Black 1TB
bottom[1].jpg

Man. Now I feel dumb. It's been that long since I've handled an actual HD...

I ran into the same problem last year with my Fractal Arc Midi R2, which uses the same drive trays as your case. After that, I've been occasionally looking for a solution, and finally found it a few weeks ago.

Fractal has a spare parts shop in Germany that sells the updated trays. Direct link: https://www.fractal-design-shop.de/HDD-Tray-White

Back