HDD says it needs to be formatted

jojo3

n00b
Hello, I took a WD1600 IDE HDD out of a XP computer I upgraded; I put the IDE HD as a slave in my Win2000 PC. It has a single partition with about 120GB free. It showed up fine in My Computer as drive H and I could see all the folders in it, and it also showed up as healthy in disk management. I transferred about 8 GB from another drive to it and then I also transferred about 7GB from a USB flash drive when it finished I went to check the info I transferred to the new drive H and the only thing that showed up was an ATI folder with a bunch of drivers in it and all the info I transferred was not there. ????
I decided to restart the system and see what happens. Now when I click on H it says “This drive is not formatted” :eek:
What happen to the drive? And how can I get my info back?
Thanks

Sounds like your drive got hosed. Use GetDataBack or something similar.

You could try to run ckeckdisk on it. Its usually a bad file transfer that throws off the free space or something.

Thanks for the replies
I tried CHKDSK but it doen not run on the H drive.:(

Get Data Back, or SpinRite, Maybe even Testdisk
If its the paration table. Test Disk will work wounders

Testdisk said that Win2000 did not recognize HDD bigger than 137 with out LBA mode. You need SP2 or greater for LBA mode but mine is SP4 and I remember the PC was able to detect the drive because backeup some file on the drive.
Anyway I found a way to add LBA mode in the registry and now Testdisk sees the whole disk. Or at least most of it 149GB.
After selecting depper scan Testdisk sees 2 of my H drive. :confused:
What do I do now to get the partition back?
Thanks

I ran Western Digital diagnostics on the drive and It says everything passed, but my PC still says i need to format the drive:confused:
Here are the screens shots:

The drive seems to be good shape but the OS keeps saying it's not formatted.
Thanks

I put the drive in both an XP and a Vista PC but the HDD still shows up as "Drive is not formatted"
Is there no way to get back the files.:(

Are you running testdisk from within the other OS? Have you tried it from UBCD? I don't know if that will make a difference. I just had a similar problem, and just ran testdisk from the UBCD, and fixed my HD no problem (and saved me from getting beat by my wife!)

Back