• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HDD randomly gone?

Offbeat

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 15, 2007
Messages
117
My computer still shows the drive there, and I can see it in the BIOS.

But when I click on it in My Computer it tells me it needs to be formatted. I try to format it, and it says "Windows was unable to complete the format". It also will not let me check for errors. "Windows cannot access the disk".

Think it's dead?
 
First thing I would do is check the power and SATA/IDE connectors to the drive. Plug it into a different port on the motherboard if you have one. If you still can't access it, try a HDD test / diagnostic tool. Some drive manufacturers have them available for download on their website.
 
I would start with CrystalDiskInfo. Running this will tell you if the drive thinks it is operating abnormally.
 
crystaldiskinfo says caution for this drive

Current pending sector count:216
Uncorrectable sector count:116

this particular hard drive is plugged in 1 of the sata 6gb ports, I don't know if that could make a difference. I will switch it when I'm done gaming for the night :p
 
Current pending sector count:216
Uncorrectable sector count:116

Is this the raw data for those 2 results? If so this is very bad. I would RMA the drive ASAP.


I don't know if that could make a difference.
Current pending sectors and Uncorrectable sectors are not cabling issues. These are caused by the drive not being able to read sectors that it has written. This may be caused by a defect in the media or by some type of mechanical failure (bad / weak head ...)
 
unled1hi.jpg

screenshot of the crystaldisk

I cannot access the drive even if I wanted to backup the data. It didnt have anything important on it. It's kind of weird it would randomly break, I hardly ever use it. it was a hard drive dedicated to FRAPS.

I assume it needs to be replaced
 
According to WDC, your drive is in Warranty until 10.6.2012. I would RMA is immediately and get it replaced.
 
Back
Top