hdd problem

SiDiuS

Weaksauce
I'm trying to hook up an old win98 10.2gb seagate hdd to my computer so I can save some files onto my hdd. I set the drive as slave (seagates instructions say to remove the jumper completely which i did), and hooked it up to my secondary ide But my computer is not recognizing the drive in computer management. Ive done this this same thing with a winxp drive and it worked fine. Am I doing something wrong?

why is your HDD set to slave? is it just a storage device or is it the boot device? Usually the HDD should be set to primary IDE with master jumpers unless you have another drive as the boot drive. Why the secondary IDE?

I just had an issue with the firmware on my drive and reinstalling everything took care of the problem. However, the BIOS not even reading the drive seems to be another issue. I remember once where my HDD order was all messed up and the BIOS was reading my HDD as a different manufacturer and not reading my cd drive. This issue turned out to be a grounding issue because the screws were on too tight on the mobo. Loosening them a bit actually resolved the issue. strange yes, but it worked. Not sure if that helps any, but more info would help.

good luck

My main boot drive is my 120gb wd hdd. Im trying to hook up my gf's win98 hdd to my computer and save the files she has so i can reformat her drive. So i set her hdd to slave and hooked it up to my secondary ide but my computer isn't recongnizing it. hope that makes better sense.

k, my computer isn't recognizing my other 80gb hdd now either. I tried it with jumpers set to slave, and master. :(

it's very likely that you're firmware got screwed up somehow down the line. Check the manufacturer's site for the MBR and firmware update if u don't have it already with the cd that came with the drive. Also make sure the LBA size is set correctly.

or perhaps something in your BIOS is screwed up. how does the BIOS read the drives?

Back