HDD Prices Finally Back to Pre-Flood Levels

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
According to a report from Backblaze, HDD pricing has now returned to approximately the same levels as pre-flood prices. The comparisons are almost apples to oranges since the manufacturers opted to upgrade their factories to produce higher capacity, more efficient line of hard drives.

The two year return time isn’t particularly surprising if you consider that the drive manufacturers themselves had every reason to draw out higher prices and earn some profits in the process.

Look at how many manufacturers lately have been accused of price fixing of late, especially Korean and Japanese.

Economy of scale is great and all, but it seems obvious too me that there are too many monopolies if we are constantly seeing such price fixing going on, and minimal slaps on the wrist when they are busted.

Don't worry, something else is going to come by soon to put the prices right back up. I'm putting my bets on alien dust that has contaminated their current manufacturing equipment.

SSDs have a different use. they are not a substitution for large hard disks unless you're rolling in money and have enough sata ports.
SSDs suffice for 99% of the consumer market. Most people just go to BestBuy or Walmart to get some external harddrives or flash drives if they want more storage.

Pfftt! Hard drives, only one interesting one out there at the moment.

I want what I can't have yet -- 8 of the Hitachi Ultrastar He6 drives, but unlike the NSA I won't pay the amazing sale price of $1500 a drive from HERE.

Come on WD, you could make a ton at $600 a drive!

Yep, hard drives start to drop but RAM starts to go up.........

Until 2 - 3gb drives get below the $100 price point, then I won't be buying anytime soon unless I'm compelled to.

Until 2 - 3gb drives get below the $100 price point, then I won't be buying anytime soon unless I'm compelled to.
:confused:
I assume you mean 2-3 TB drives, but those can already be had for under $100 pretty consistently.

I paid $59 and $69 for a few 2TB hitachi 5k3000 drives before the flood. I have not seen this price yet.

I'm not sure prices are even close to preflood. Preflood, 2TB drives from Western Digital were going for $69-72 shipped on Amazon.

Pfftt! Hard drives, only one interesting one out there at the moment.

I want what I can't have yet -- 8 of the Hitachi Ultrastar He6 drives, but unlike the NSA I won't pay the amazing sale price of $1500 a drive from HERE.

Come on WD, you could make a ton at $600 a drive!

60% Cyber Monday discount too... :(

... and it's still expensive.

:confused:
I assume you mean 2-3 TB drives, but those can already be had for under $100 pretty consistently.

Yes, sorry, I meant TB drives. I've been talking GB and TB all day to people for Cyber Monday.

I bought four Samsung F4 2TB hard drives for $59.99 each (free shipping!) from Newegg on November 6, 2010.

Three years later and I'm paying $132.99 (on sale) for an internal 4TB drive.

I haven't seen a $69 shipped 2TB internal HD in years. Pre-flood prices my butt.

8/30/2011

Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822148681
Standard Return Policy
This item is serviced by the SeaGate. Please call 800 -732-4283 for service.
$79.99
Subtotal $79.99
Tax $0.00
UPS 3 DAYS $0.00
Promo code -$10.00
Order Total $69.99

Yep I paid $60 for my 2tb seagates. I think this article is full of it.

They're focusing on cost per GB, nevermind the fact that they are comparing cost per GB of the old 2 TB vs new 3 TB, lol. Personally I'm concerned with apples-to-apples. 2 TB now vs 2 TB then.

Sale prices then were basically $70ish per 2 TB, now it's $79-85. Taking the lower of both, ($70 then vs $79 now), yeah it's "only" $10, but it's still in the best case a 15% difference, and that's huge! Yes there is inflation, but now you need less platters for the same amount of data storage so....

To put it in perspective, here is what 15% is:
If one year a car costs $30000, and the next year's model (same thing with tweaks) has a price difference of 15%, then that same model of car next year would cost $35000. I'd hardly call them "approximately" the same cost.

Back